Fender better get on the ball!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender better get on the ball!

Now that I have a sattleite system for t.v., I get three channels that actually play music videos, not the "Real world vs. Godzilla" or some crap like that. On MTV2, and Much Music, thay have a couple of hours every night dedicated to rock music, and semi-rock music. All I gotta say is, Gibsons are in almost every one of those videos, and I've seen one Jackson, and it's in a gay Evanescence video. Fenders? What Fenders? Somebody's asleep at the wheel over there, and they better wake up. Gibson's look like they're becoming the next ESP, with the kids these days, and their heavy metal.

Re: Fender better get on the ball!

Thats the way it has been for a loooooooooooong time. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Start watching VH-1 Classic..... Metal Mania!!!!! Great for your daily Jackson fix [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
        Start watching VH-1 Classic..... Metal Mania!!!!! Great for your daily Jackson fix [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hell yea! I get more of a kick watching VH1 than MTV thats for sure!

Comment

PRSs too.

Comment

Start watching VH-1 Classic..... Metal Mania!!!!! Great for your daily Jackson fix
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, that's great, but that was then and this is now. I agree with Kev's initial point. They had better get it in gear.

Comment

Kev's right, and on all the late night shows guest bands (Leno, Conan, etc) - it's Les Pauls & SGs out the wazoo!
              [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I could've sworn one of Andrew W-G*ys' guitarists uses a Jackson pointy, the other uses a Les Paul. I've seen another Jackson, can't remember the band though, but it was a 3-A-Side headstock like the JJ, But I don't think it was a JJ. :S

And there's a Jackson Rhoads in the Nik-Naks advert. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone who has been in the business for any length of time will tell you that guitar popularity comes and goes in waves. Right now Gibson is hot, however the odd thing is that I have been having more Gibsons pass through (being sold to me) than when Fender's were hot. Telecaster's are pretty hot again (they went through a popular phase 10 years ago). Fender has been riding high on the hog for a while now, it was only a matter of time before attention shifted elsewhere. This is why they started preparing with obtaining Guild (they have always shared the Gibson market), and Jackson (for the ESP, Ibanez, Schecter market). I believe that once Fender feels that the trend has moved past the standard Fender line, they will shift their energy to the division that best suits the popular market.

Comment

i'm withya, jim... christ, i remember when all anyone played was jackson and ibanez, you could get les paul customs for 500-700! ebb and flow...
                    all will be fine...hell, if no one played jacksons, they'd be outta business.

i do think, though, that they oughta seek out endorsers that are more high profile than what they currently have...yes boys, that means nu metal bands. the guy from papa roach gets more attention than a bunch of uber-metal dudes. sadly, image still counts.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I agree they need to get some big names signed. Fender has alot on their plate these days. They bought Jackson and they were licensed by the Gretsch family to build Gretsch guitars and come up with new models all last year. I don't know if they are going to focus on Gretsch first or Jackson. They should get going with Jackson first as they actually own Jackson. Who knows what they agreed to do in the contract with the Gretsch family. I guess if we do see any changes, it will be launched around the summer NAMM show.

I remember when the music stores were chock full of Kramer's, Ibanez, and Charvel's. Jackson's were huge money (I couldn't afford one) and Fender guitars only accounted for a small percentage of a stores inventory. You could buy an American Standard Strat for $450 brand new, a US reissue was around $650. Les Paul Standards were around $800 brand new in a transparent finish. A plain Jackson Soloist at that time was discounted to around $1200-1300 (these were my local prices, I don't know what list prices were).

[ March 22, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

My point is, Fender better start doing something, NOW! I know guitars go through phases, but I haven't seen any Jacksons on TV, since MTV2 ran some heavy metal videos from the 80's. How is this gonna help sell Jacksons, when every new player is gonna want an Explorer, or a Firebird like their new hero is playing? Next thing you know, Fender turns Jackson in to the next Hondo, 'cause nobody's buying them. I'm looking down the road a few years, through the eyes of an accountant, at FMIC. See what I mean?

Comment

All my guitar rags have nothing but artists with Gibsons (Les Pauls) on the front covers. I'll see a fender here or there but rarely a Jackson. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] It seems that the only people that buy Jacksons are JCF members. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com
                          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Okay, could you people BE ANY MORE PARANOID?

OMG! I DON'T SEE ANY JACKSONS ON MTV! FENDER'S TURNING THEM INTO HONDO!

First of all, Fender has a Hondo (SQUIRE). Second of all, didn't ANY of you see the pics from the custom shop? Go back and count the guitars. Then multiply that by $500-$1000. Get the picture? As it was explained to me shortly before the buyout, Jackson IS NOT in any kind of financial trouble by itself. Yeah, the company has seen better days but they're not in danger of going under. Where was all this paranoia back when it was NEEDED?

Comment

Okay, could you people BE ANY MORE PARANOID?

OMG! I DON'T SEE ANY JACKSONS ON MTV! FENDER'S TURNING THEM INTO HONDO!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Um...I don't really think anybody is being paraniod here. Kev was using that as an example in the extreme. Thats all.
                              Otherwise, this is a discussion and speculation about the marketing of Jackson guitars and how it relates to popular media.

Comment

Working...
                              X