Grover Jackson Guitars... why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grover Jackson Guitars... why?

I know they are for the Japanese market. But why not just plain 'ol Jackson?
    The Grover Jackson logo sucks! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] is it for legal reasons or what?

Anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks guys. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Facebook - Youtube

Re: Grover Jackson Guitars... why?

someone in Japan already owns the "jackson" name.. so they resort to grover jackson.

Comment

So, there is not some kind of "international copyright"??? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ March 22, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: kuerbo ]
      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Hey Gpops,

Your website expired. I was tryin' to see your guitar, but couldn't. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

not all of the guitars have the plain out, full script grover jackson logo. some have the regular jackson logo with grover jackson in smaller letters next to it. thats what the headstock on my japanese market jackson looks like. great guitars if you get the right one. just my two cents.

Garry

Comment

I know that Kuerbo, but i'm supposedly locked out of my profile so i cant delete the link right now. I'll try again pretty soon.

Comment

I've heard various reasons as to why they use Grover Jackson - one is that the Japanese word that most closely sounds like "Jackson" means "asshole" or something. Another one I've heard is there's already another "Jackson" company over there (not guitars).
              I would assume they also do that to differentiate between the made in Japan FOR Japan and the made in Japan for the USA markets.
              I've also seen "Grover Jackson USA", which no one seems to be able to prove whether they are made in Ontario or not, but a few people have said it (not Jackson employees).

The Grover Jackson Roswell I have is a smoker. It's also got a stopbar instead of strings through the body. I prefer the stopbar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Wish it had Crop Circles [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, why the stop bar instead of string-thru?
                Cheers

Comment

Please quit spreading that "Jackson" is a dirty word in Japanese story. That was a joke told by Brad Kelley years ago and it seems to have spread....... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

tim wilson told me that there is a company in japan that owns the name jackson. so, GJ it is. that's easy enough, no?

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Alexi - whaddya mean "why"? Why do I like em better or why did they use em?
                      I like em better just "because". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      As for why they used em instead of drilling 6 small holes through the body....anybody's guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      One stopbar, two bolts, and two ferrules is probably less expensive than 12 ferrules [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I didnt tell it, Wilson told me that and i beleaved him, im a sucker what can i say? not only till almost a year later he told me it is a copie written name by some other company in Japan

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong almighty Jackson Gurus, But I know that today (and at least for a year or 2) in japan the name on the headstock reads "Jackson Stars". Here's a pic from the website.

hmmmm string thru 24 fret Rhoads w/emg's (standard production model not custom)

Hmmmmm neck thru Kelly Star
                          (standard production model not custom)

Here's a closeup of the headstock logo's

If you read thru the site it says that these are built in the USA at the Ontario California Shop. Check out the website and do your best to read through the japaneese text....some of it does come up in English, but I found it all quite interesting. the site is Jackson Stars

I think I'm gonna take a trip to Japan and get me a few of these guitars that we've been begging for in the US for years now. That 24 fret Rhoads with stock EMG's and a non custom Kellystar neck thru! I want one!
                          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

You can run that site through an online translator like Babelfish and it'll give you some hokey about the USA Ontario shop, but the Japanese Shop does do Custom Orders. I got an NASL 160 last year straight from Japan and the guy who I bought it through said he called the factory abbout getting a Blood Drip Warrior from them, and they said it'd be about a 6 week wait.
                            The USA Shop is backed up for 18 months, so it had to be the Japanese shop that he spoke to.

http://www.jacksonstars.com/nasl%20type.htm

And they DO still have the Grover Jackson line - the Curious Unique Neckthrough and Maximum Fun Neckthrough models. I think the JacksonStars are a relatively new line, as they feature higher quality components (genuine Floyds and Schallers, genuine Duncans, ebony, pearl, etc) whereas the Grovers usually have the Jackson trems and Duncan Designed pickups.

Newc

[ March 31, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

There is a Grover Jackson guitar (all white w/two hum) that looks very cool - that I found on a guitar site in of a store in Las Vegas....(I hope I am not breaking any rules by listing the site - If I am, I am sorry and delete it please, but the site is www.cowtownguitars.com). They seem to speciallize in very vintage and very expensive guitars (mostly fenders). Ck it out !

Comment

Working...
                              X