Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility of FMIC killing J/C or selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good points actually, but the the only way that a model series can take off is if the Charvel name is recognized as a desirable instrument once again. Until the brand is re-established (if ever), anything else is just spinning wheels.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by quakana View Post
      We should all pitch in and buy it!
      +1...LOL, Sure why not?

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
        Good points actually, but the the only way that a model series can take off is if the Charvel name is recognized as a desirable instrument once again. Until the brand is re-established (if ever), anything else is just spinning wheels.
        are you saying that if FMIC reintroduced the Charvel Model series, right now, say in a limited all bolt on capacity (Models 1, 2 and 4 say), that they would not sell?

considering the Chinese crap we see in GC for $399, I think people would be all over a $399 MIJ Model 2 or a $499 Model 4. you kiddin me?
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I agree. My Model 3 just kicks ass.

I'd been neglecting her of late (sob) so I just
          had to give her new strings, and since it was there
          I gently twisted her truss rod ...and Meguaired her luscious
          scarlet body...

What a

guitar she is...

Son Of Spy
          1976 Gibson Mk53
          1988 Charvel Model 3
          1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Model Series Charvels were actually pretty expensive. Here are the '88 catalog prices (Sam Ash prices in parentheses):

Model 1: $449.95
            Model 1A: $499.95
            Model 1C: $549.95
            Model 2: $599.95 ($429.00)
            Model 3: $699.95 ($492.00)
            Model 3A: $599.95 ($429.00)
            Model 4: $899.95 ($612.00)
            Model 4M: $849.95
            Model 5: $949.95 ($642.00)
            Model 5A: $899.95 ($612.00)
            Model 6: $1149.95($762.00)

Adjust for inflation and a Model 3 is $1135 ($798 Sam Ash) in 2005 dollars (only online inflation calculator I could find stopped at '05)

To get them cheap, they're either going to have to be made to a lower quality standard, or made in Korea, Indonesia or wherever.

BTW, if you do the same type of inflation adjustment for '80s USA Charvels & Jacksons, you get higher prices than the ones we're complaining about in this thread. They've always been expensive guitars, usually more than the competition. There are just more options now, and some of those options are very attractive. I'm willing to pay more for a Charvel or Jackson, but some of the recent issues with QC are a real concern to me, and I hope things turn around.

Comment

Why were the Sam Ash prices cheaper?

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-27-2008, 08:04 PM.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Those guitars were "in" back then so you payed a premium price for them. I think Jackson was the #1 seller at the time. If they priced them close to what they charged for the last import charvels, they would sell. (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                    Why were the Sam Ash prices cheaper?
                    Discount off of MSRP. Some mom & pops charged much closer to the catalog price. No offense to the recent Charvel imports, but I still believe quality would have to take a hit to keep them in that price range, especially the close-out prices that most people paid for them. If you want them to be as good as they were and for JCMI & their dealers to make money, I think they would have to run somewhere near what the DK-2Ms cost. I can picture the threads already with people pissing & moaning that they can get a minty "real one" from back in the day off of eBay for $200 or $300 less.

It just seems that whenever this subject comes up, people think they're going to get Model Series reissues at close to eBay prices for 20-year-old guitars. They're killer bang-for-the-buck guitars now because they're still pretty unknown or unwanted by most people, and the supply still seems to be good. I love them, but I doubt they would sell very well if they reissued them.

Comment

Why bring back model series guitars? These guitars are going to be priced the same as the Jackson imports are today & essentially be the same model as the Jackson, but w a Charvel logo. So in reality it seams stupid to bring back a Model 4 or 4M when essentially it is a DK2 or DK2M w/ a Charvel logo. The model 6 except for the the selector switch is an SL3.

I think it is best to keep the Charvel line as a custom shop line.
                      Back when the model series came out, it was the import line & Jackson was the USA line. Doing that again would likely bomb as Jackson is & has been the dominant brand for 20 years or more.

In reality I think if you try to bring back the Charvel import line, it would have to be kept as Dinky, Soloist, & Strat type guitars (possibly also the Star). And then the Jackson imports would eliminate these styles & stay only w/ the pointy models (KE, KV, RR, WR)

A possiblity some have suggetsed is to make all neckthru guitars Jackson & Bolt on models Charvels. The problem w/ that then is the import Jackson models RR, KV, KE, WR would either become neckthru only models ($1000+ models) or they would still offer the bolt on versions w/ the Charvel logo (which in my opinion is pretty stupid)
                      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by Hamner1 View Post
                        The model 6 except for the the selector switch is an SL3.
                        Well, almost. The Model 6 has binding and the much-coveted MOP inlays.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, I paid more for my Charvel Model 4 in 1986 than I've paid for all my USA Jacksons & my USA Charvel (which of course I bought used.)

Comment

On a tangent.......do the USA Selects sell very well? I look at dealer websites and they seem to have the same stock a lot of the time......

Comment

I haven't read everyone's opinions, but I'm loaded and am about to dig into a $200 steak -

F all the doubters
                              Charvel/Jackson 4-eva!!!

San Dimas High School Football Rules!!!
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamner1 View Post
                                Why bring back model series guitars? These guitars are going to be priced the same as the Jackson imports are today & essentially be the same model as the Jackson, but w a Charvel logo. So in reality it seams stupid to bring back a Model 4 or 4M when essentially it is a DK2 or DK2M w/ a Charvel logo. The model 6 except for the the selector switch is an SL3.

I think it is best to keep the Charvel line as a custom shop line.

Back when the model series came out, it was the import line & Jackson was the USA line. Doing that again would likely bomb as Jackson is & has been the dominant brand for 20 years or more.
                                I guess I got a deal cause I got my Model 2 at Sam Ash on 48th St in NYC for $350 in April 1987. at that price these guitars are a steal and that's what made Charvel so popular. I do remember the higher end Models being out of my price range back then.

but what you said makes sense business wise for FMIC with the Jackson/Charvel brands. I guess it's also my POV that none of the import Jacksons do much for me. I liked Jacksons much more back when they were the US killer brand, but today I'm a Charvel guy, that's how I roll. so I guess I was looking at it just from a Charvel brand revitalization aspect, rather than a whole business strategy where you'd worry about cannibalizing the import Jacksons. which is a legitimate concern.
                                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                                X