New member - saying hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - saying hello

Hey everyone, My name is Mike and I just signed up to this forum. I've been playing guitar since around '87. Before that I played drums through all of my school years. I've played in several original acts and most recently a thrash metal cover band playing tunes from bands like Overkill, Testament, King Diamond, Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath and a host of others. Unfortunately, that band just broke up so I'm looking to do something else.

I've always loved Jackson guitars and always wanted to own one. I finally got my hands on a sweet USA DK1 in blue-green pearl. It looks like blue from one angle, black from another and green from yet another angle. I've swapped out the emg's (which I dislike) and installed a Duncan custom 5 in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. I also modified the controls by using 500k pots as well as a push-pull pot on the tone control which allows me to coil-tap both of the pickups. The down side is that I cannot seem to fix a problem with the input jack constantly cutting out. I've replaced it twice but I still seem to suffer the same problem. I'm confident I'll have the problem resolved soon enough.

I also currently have a Jackson Kelly body and an after-market/copy Jackson neck that I bought off Evil-bay. I have parts laying around and once I purchase a new Floyd bridge, I'll be able to assemble a decent/functional Kelly. The Kelly body is finished in the dark metallic blue which I like so I guess I'll keep it. My original plan was to sand it down to the body then finish it with something like an amber color.

My other guitars include a '90 LP Studio, '01 LP Classic, '89 Explorer and the second guitar I've ever owned: a late 80's BC Rich Warlock. The warlock has sentimental value but it is pretty beat so I've pseudo-retired it. My main amp is a 5150 driving a Mesa 4x12.

I have a Warmoth custom strat that I'm building. It's going to have a H/S/S configuration and a Wilkinson tremolo. The body is swamp ash and the neck is birdseye maple with a pau ferro fingerboard.

Finally on the list is a guitar that I've been building for the better part of 15 years!! I keep procrastinating on finishing it. About 15 years ago I purchased a Carvin neck-through neck. The first set of wings I glued on it got all screwed up so I let the project sit for a number of years. I finally cut those wings off and installed a better set. Then I lost interest for another few years. I've finally gotten back into building this thing and I hope to complete it this spring. All of the important routing is done. Almost all of the parts are purchased. I just have to do a lot of sanding to get the smoothness I want in prep for the paint job. It's going to get a metallic purple finish.

Okay so that was a really long hello post!!

Let me be the first to say...

...and welcome.
    |My CSG gallery|
    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Welcome to the JCF! Great story and let me also say;

EDIT: haha I got beaten to it
      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Welcome Mike, let me know if I can ever help with anything!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
        35 Pleasant St
        Weymouth MA 02190 USA
        781-335-0700
        Boston’s ExclusiveBoutique music STORE Welcome to Matt’s Music Center, named one of the Top 100 Dealers in the USA by NAMM 14 times! Shop New Guitar Arrivals EST. 1996 New Guitar Arrivals At Matt’s we get new guitars in almost everyday. Check out the latest we’ve got in the shop without even coming in. But […]
        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

LOL...I knew I'd get hit with the "pics" response. I'm at work now and can't post pics since the only ones I have are at home. I'll try to get something up ASAP.

Comment

Welcome.
            -Rick

Comment

Welcome Bro...Excellent intro...
              Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

ello mate

Comment

Welcome, enjoy, and buy more Jacksons!
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Bleeding from black holes
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

Welcome to the forum and enjoy our nice neighbourhood ;D..

I must say it too
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Damn good first post. Welcome to the forum, and yes.....
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Welcome, and don't talk about tits!!
                        I love admins!

Comment

Why, because you like men?
                          Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover View Post
                            Welcome, and don't talk about tits!!
                            So true! :ROTF:
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Konichiwa.

Fortune cookie say 'you buy many many Jackson in future'.

Welcome aboard.
                              Strat God Music
                              http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Working...
                              X