Staying in tune - slsmg headstock VS. classic Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in tune - slsmg headstock VS. classic Jackson

You've probably heard the theory that strings which enter the nut in a straight line aren't as likely to go out of tune as strings that enter the nut at an angle. Of course, the locking nut of the Floyd seems to prevent this, but many people don't want a Floyd on every guitar. I have an slsmg:

but I don't have a guitar like this for comparison:

Does anyone have experience between these two types of headstocks? Does it make any difference for staying in tune?

I think it's most important if you have a trem. Then, a straight string path definitely helps to avoid having strings bind in the nut. I have a Model 7, which is a tele with a reverse pointy (no trem). I have no tuning issues at all with it, and I do some pretty aggressive bends.

Heres a pic if you aren't familiar with the Model 7:

Last edited by dg; 02-16-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Nice tele... what material is the nut made from? Is that one of those graphite nuts?

Comment

In the catalogs they refer to these as carbon fiber nuts, but they seem like graphite to me. Someone else might know for sure.

Comment

im almost positive that the head stock shapes contribute no differance.
          this is just my opinion though.
          headstocks are just cosmetics, no attributiing factors to tuning

Comment

It's more in the nut material itself than how the strings get to the tuners, as well as how you wrap the strings around the post, and how well you stretch the strings.

While you'll get more slippage on a straight path and thus reach a "locked" tuning slightly faster than with an angled path, the difference is really negligible - maybe 30 seconds to a minute difference.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X