Dots and binding... why not seen more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful guitars, fellas

I have become a huge fan of the dots/binding look.

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sukisyn View Post
      I never been a fan of dot inlays. I would rather have a blank board than one with dots

Heh ... I just saw your post in the eBay forum concerning the firebird ... lol
      a blank board w/ only somehting on the 12 fret is my top choice

Comment

If there's body binding as well, it fits because the "outline" motif flows over the whole body, but if it's just a bound neck/head with dots, it just doesn't work for me.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You know, I was not going to pull this one out in this thread. But, bow down bitches. :ROTF: 1981 V.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I find dots to be realy boring and a little bit ugly on most guitars. I'd prefer almost anything else that is common enough.

Comment

I like blank fretboards.. or rev. sharkies

Comment

If there's body binding as well, it fits because the "outline" motif flows over the whole body, but if it's just a bound neck/head with dots, it just doesn't work for me.
                Yeah, that's why a Rhoads with pinstripes or bevels of diff.color looks so killer But i like bindings on a "plain" body as well.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I like dots on 22 fret necks with no binding, but sharkies on 24 fret necks with binding.

Comment

I think Vai used to have a pink Jackson with a bound fretboard and dot inlays. I always thought that it looked pretty cool. I believe he posed with it in some early DiMarzio ads along with Billy Sheehan. I assume this must have been pre-Ibanez.

Comment

Sharkies, or blank board for me! Though I do really like offset dot inlays, like on Fusions. There should be more of those!
                      I love admins!

Comment

dots are boring. not that they are bad, just so acoustic. I like the MM1 inlays. Blocks, blanks and sharks for me.
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Dots can look good, but it depends on the brand of guitar. To me though sharkies define the jackson look, it's just not a jackson without them.

I'm all for binding though, wish more models had it.

Comment

dots look like shit on rosewood or ebony but they are AWSOME on maple.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              dots look like shit on rosewood or ebony but they are AWSOME on maple.
                              Yeah I agree with that, maybe it's the image of the first teles stuck in my mind but to me, a maple neck with no binding and dots looks classic and hotrod like, but dots in a rosewood neck with or without binding just looks boring.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                                You know, I was not going to pull this one out in this thread. But, bow down bitches. :ROTF: 1981 V.
                                That's a killer V but Gibbie does not make them anymore with dots and neck binding...thing they stopped this in like 77 or 76 maybe? I can check but I am pretty sure it didn't make it into 81 (I could be wrong) so is that an older neck superglued onto an newer body?

Unless of course you want an "Epiphone" version :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                                X