Charvel Spectrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Spectrum

I just recently bought a Spectrum s# 321089.
    It is in great condition with 3 single coils and is a blue/purple color. I'm trying to get info on this guitar as I've not seen one of these before. Year of manufacture, Was it USA or Japanese made? THanks guys for your help.

[ March 30, 2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Reuben Adkins ]

Re: Charvel Spectrum

The Spectrum was introduced in 1989 and lasted at least through 1991, maybe into 92. They were all made in Japan in the Charvel plant. It used the JE-1500 active circuit with those single coils. Essentially it's an envelope filter and acts like a wah at a fixed setting when engaged. The earliest ones had the Jackson JT-6 trem and later ones had the Schaller JT-590. Hardware was chrome. Necks were maple with 22 fret fingerboards of either maple or rosewood. Reverse headstocks that matched the body. Excellent playing guitars although the single coils (Jackson J-200) were a departure from the traditional Charvel "superstrat" of the era. As was that big ole white pickguard! Good guitar regardless.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

charvel750, Thanks for the info. I've had the Spectrum out on a couple of gigs and you are right, Its a good guitar! One more thing, Do you know what the old list price was? I got it for under 200.00 at a Music Go Round and it plays ALOT better that that! Thanks.

Comment

In 1989 they could be had for about $650 so list was near a grand. You got a good deal on an even better guitar.

Comment

Got pics? I'm intrigued by that colour. I've seen Spectrums in a bunch of different finishes, but never that one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          Hail yesterday

Comment

imo, the blue ones with the maple necks were the coolest of them.... well, i dunno. i like em all. my black one reminds me of a killer whale. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the info charvel750. This is my first " Hair Band " guitar and I'm very inmpressed with it. I've pretty much been a Fender player, Mainly old Tele's. Sorry, I haven't broke down and bought a digital camera yet so,I don't have any pictures. I try to fight technology any time I can! Hell, I just finally got a DVD player about a month ago! Hey, What do you all know about the Professional series Jacksons? I found a black Kelly today. It plays good and is in good shape. Like I've said before, I don't know much about these guitars. If there is a good website out there about Jackson/Charvel and there history, Please let me know. Again, Thanks guy's.

Comment

If you'd like a history of the Jackson Charvel guitar company I'd recommend reading some of my online articles I wrote for TheShredZone.com at this link: http://www.theshredzone.com/content/.../guitar101.asp You'll find a general history as well as the history of various Jackson innovations and models.

Comment

They remind me of the Kramer Eliot Easton model guitars.

Comment

Reuben...was this guitar nabbed from the MGR in the "star city"?? (Lincoln,NE) I saw a blue spectrum there a few weeks ago. As I recall, it was only $150 w/case! I checked it after seeing it listed on their national web site as a "Charvel Model ?" I almost bought it.

Comment

surfdork, Yes that is the very same Spectrum but, I got it even cheaper than $150.00. The guitar was sold and returned 2 weeks before I bought it. The person who bought it diddnt like the guitar but kept the case and traded the Spectrum for a different guitar. Lucky for me!

[ April 06, 2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Reuben Adkins ]

Comment

The Professional series Jacksons were all made in Japan, with the early 1990/91 models being regularly confused with USA made because the quality was identical to the USA models of the same time. Some dealers today try to pass these off as USA models (especially price-wise) and they're hard to convince otherwise.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X