My first guitar paint job (PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first guitar paint job (PICS)

Okay, as I said in the thread about my Model 2, I decided to paint it. Background: I picked up a Model 2 about three years ago in a pawn shop for $100.00 out the door. Here it is on the day I bought it (in my old Kramer case):

So I decided that it was a bit dull and I wanted to try my hand at airbrushing. I've always liked the Bolted Steel factory finish, but 1. I didn't think I could really duplicate it.... and 2. it's too "perfect." That is, every bolt looks identical, etc...

So anyway, I'm calling my paint scheme......Old Industrial:

It has rivets instead of bolts, per se, and I went with quite a bit more "rust" on the body.

This shot makes the clearcoat shine too much, but anyway....

This was a combination of airbrushing, spray painting, and regular brush painting.

Thanks for looking!

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

That looks really good, you've done a great job there.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I like it. Nice work. In the last photo it looks like the clear has some orange peel going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
        I like it. Nice work. In the last photo it looks like the clear has some orange peel going on.
        Thanks. Yeah, I hesitated to show that one because you don't see any orange peel effect at all in real life. My camera is pretty crappy.

Comment

For some reason, this board won't allow me to edit my posts today, so I replaced that last picture on my server. The orange peel effect was strictly coming from my camera.

Comment

Nice job ! That's a lot of work you did there! I hate airbrushes myself. I can't seem to get the hang of them:ROTF:
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have a hard enough time drawing stick figures with a pencil, no airbrushing for me.
              sigpic

Comment

Very nice work. Congrats.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Real nice work. Do you have any work-in-progress photos? You should write a thread about it in the Tech section.

PT

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                    Real nice work. Do you have any work-in-progress photos? You should write a thread about it in the Tech section.

PT
                    Thanks. No, I'm the world's worst about that. The next time I paint one, I'll be sure to do that. One problem is that I shifted directions several times throughout the job (I'm no pro), so several of the pics would have been discarded, anyway.

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Good one...
                        Do you have any pics of the process?...
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

VERY nice job. i like it!
                          You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                            Good one...
                            Do you have any pics of the process?...
                            No, I'm really bad about never remembering "before" pictures.

The process in general was....

1. Stripped it down to bare wood.

2. Painted on a white sandable auto primer. Allowed this to dry overnight.

3. Sprayed it with dull silver auto paint. Allowed to dry for about 7-8 hours.

4. Airbrushed on some sienna and light blue.

5. Allowed the sienna and light blue to sit and become tacky.

6. Rubbed the sienna and light blue out with a rag. This left most of the silver exposed but now with "tarnish" on top.

7. Used masking tape to brush-paint the seperator lines.

8. Took a socket with an extension and sat it down where the rivets would be. Airbrushed dark on one side and light on the other.

9. Took a small screwdriver and scratched the center of each rivet down to the white primer. That's the "glow" you see.

10. Brush-painted the red triangle to break it up a little.

11. Sprayed the entire thing with three coats of clear.

Comment

Very proffesional looking job. Congrats!
                              If you do another one would be really good if you took progres photos and did a thread on it. Id be interested to see how it looked layer by layer.
                              If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

Working...
                              X