EMG 81 vs SD livewire metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81 vs SD livewire metal

I've used an emg 81 for years, but im not familiar with the duncan livewire metal pu. Anyone who has played both pu's please tell me your opinions. thnx
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Re: EMG 81 vs SD livewire metal

The Duncan Metal LiveWire is their active version of SH/TB-6 Distortion. It's a little bit too much actually. If you play clean passages it will overdrive the input and clip the signal. They do include a resistor thingee to pad down the output in such cases, but geeze, it's HOT! Normal operation requires two 9 volts. The EMG-81 is more versatile and offers a huge output that is not "over the top."
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The Live Wires will eat an EMG for lunch, then poop it out. Then it will take the poop, put it in a bag, and set it on fire on some old guy's porch. Then it will laugh when the old guy comes out and steps on it to put the fire out. Then it will go have a beer.

It's like having a full-time gain boost on maximum. No clean tones, so don't even try. Very heavy midrange sound. Destroys all. I'd have some, but they're too damn expensive.

Comment

hahah BM, i like the analogy.
        interesting though that they have such high output. I need something that is diverse enough for technical death metal and jazz fusion/clean tones. And if that duncan is incapable of an actual clean tone, i guess ill stick with the emg 81. Thanks for the info guys.
        www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Yeah, if you want versatility, stick with the EMG.

Actually, the Live Wire Metals, CAN do clean tone, but just not good for a non-metal situation... You need to roll back the volume quite a bit, but you can get some nice sounds out of them. And, yes, they are the most over-the-top, high output actives I've ever played.

I have a small practice amp at work that sucks. It's that way on purpose, so I have to work it to sound good. It NEVER feedbacks, or rather, it didn't, until I tried it with the Live Wire Metals...
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'm a huge Dimarzio fan but from what you guys are saying I'm really interested in hearing this pickup. Anyboy know of any guitarist recording with it currently?
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I have an X2N in my old Kramer that I'm thinking of putting in my Charvel Model 5A.
              Mike Romeo (Symphony X) uses one. Steve Vai used to use it, as did Chuck Shuldiner (Death). I can't recall who else offhand.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the Livewire. As I said, I'm a huge Dimarzio fan and the X2N is godly IMO.

RIP Chuck.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                  I have an X2N in my old Kramer that I'm thinking of putting in my Charvel Model 5A.
                  Mike Romeo (Symphony X) uses one. Steve Vai used to use it, as did Chuck Shuldiner (Death). I can't recall who else offhand.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Toejam, how do you like the X2N compared to the EMG 81? The reason I'm asking is that you are the first one I've seen who is claiming to own both. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] See, some I've talked to say the X2N is really shrill and has a weak bottom punch(?), but I'm looking for some alternatives to EMG's and this is one of my candidates. Also, how is it on the clean channel?

On a general note, I need to state again that this is the best damn messageboard on the planet! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just look at all the helpful advice that is given here - for free! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

You guys all rock! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Bane, the X2N has more gain than an 81, close to about the same sound. The high end is up a little, but it's not harsh. I think it's pretty evenly voiced with decent bottom punch, though upping the bass eq on the amp helps, of course. The Kramer is crappy plywood, so that guitar in general doesn't sound all that great, but when I put that pickup in it many years ago, it helped it a lot over the original pup. I'm sure it will sound much better and fuller in my poplar Model 6 or any other guitar. It also sounds really good on my clean channel, too! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 31, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Thanks man! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

No problem! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Joe.. when did Steve Vai use the DiMarzio X2N?

Before the Evolution, Breed, and Blaze days he used PAF Pros in his Jems, and I have never seen one of his guitars with an X2N in it. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Just curious.

Comment

A long time ago. I think in his Frank Zappa days. Maybe in Steeler or Alcatrazz, too. One of my old DiMarzio catalogs had an interview with him talking about it, he said the X2N was something like an icepick to the head! I have to try to dig out that catalog and see.
                            Here's a pic of his Ike Turner Jackson Soloist with an X2N.
                            http://www.jemsite.com/axes/model/charvel.htm

[ March 31, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

OHHH yeah... Now I remember! Thanks, Joe! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X