EMG 81 vs SD livewire metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG 81 vs SD livewire metal

I've heard the same things about the Duncan Heavy Metal Live Wires--that their output is so high that you can't get a good clean sound.

I use EMG-81s, and some people will tell you the same thing about them, so I'm always leery of 100% accepting that about the Duncans.

My guess is, if the output IS so extremely high that no amp (or at least most amps) can't handle the output without overdriving on any channel, there could be another remedy for people who absolutely love the pickup. If controlling your guitar's volume to turn it down is an issue, then get an EQ pedal between the guitar and amp and set it for major cuts in the signal. Just a thought, for someone who absolutely loves the metal rhythm/lead of the pickup, but wants to clean it up.

One other thing to remember is that Duncan doesn't only make the Heavy Metal Live Wires, they also make Classic Live Wires. I'm not sure what pickups they are based on, and how hot they are, or how they compare to EMGs, because I've never heard of anyone buying the Classic versions. But, it might be something to ask Duncan about...they could probably help on several of these issues with the Live Wires.

Just some thoughts...I've always been curious about these pickups, too...but was always a little unsure how they would be, so I stuck to my EMG-81s since I'm not a rich guy hehe.

Comment

If you love EMGs, try a DiMarzio X2N... it eats the 81 for lunch, plus you don't have to deal with batteries.
      I actually love EMGs myself, but I prefer the 85 in the bridge over the 81.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey hey. I have played SD metal LW for over 10 years. They are by far my favorite pup. While it is true you cannot get a clean sound from them I tend not to use a humbucker in the bridge for my clean tones anyway. The very cool thing about this pup is you can really set your gain on your amp low. Mine is around 4, but for my SD JB's it's on 10. Why this is great is my neck pup is lower output and alows me to get a great clean sound from it then. A Bill Lawrence L500 is in the neck. I get great SRV tones as well from this setup. Very very cool pup. Now what many people don not know is this pup is very mid heavy. So it cuts thru great. I recomond it very highly.
        LATER!!!
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Aren't the Live Wire Metals relatively new? Like only available for the last year or so??!??!?

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

They have been making the Live Wires series for many years now. I have an SD catalog I got not long after I started playing (about 17 years ago) that has the Live Wires in it, and I don't know how long they may have been making them before that.

That catalog also has the old Duncan Convertible amps in it...always thought that was a cool idea, and glad that Egnater has implemented some of that kind of idea now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My opinion on this subject is EMG pickups are much better sounding & much more versitile than the SD Live wires.The live wires that came in my Model A were pure metal pickups.You couldn't get a clean out of them @ all.I put a set of 81's in it & I love it now.I think Emg is the way to go.If anyone is looking for Emg pickups I can hook you up with a good source & for a good price!!Also if some one is interested in a set of S.D. Live Wires I have a set I will sell!!!

Comment

Hi everyone, a lot of you are talking about the Metal Live Wire...and it was mentioned once, I believe, but there is a Live Wire classic, which is a great pickup. I have the metal in the bridge, and the classic in the neck of my soloist. I love the pups...it is true that feedback can become troublesome, however I found that if I turn the volume knob down, you can turn it so that you don't lose any gain or tone, but get rid of like, that extra turn of the pot that you don't need, so you only get the tone, not the feedback. The clean is fantastic...if it matters at all, my parents noticed a huge difference...and also, if I switch to my neck pickup, the classic, while using the distortion for my bridge pup, I get this sweet bassy, bluesy rippin' tone. I have the pup kinda sunk into the cavity just a bit, like just around the edge of the pickup ring (whatever you want to call it). It's almost as if the classic has more bite than the metal; it's got a great bite, chirps when you pick, great creamy glassy blues tone...with a nice hunk of presence. The Metal seems to add gain to this tone...the sound is obviously less bluesy, more compressed and tight, sharp and articulate. The clean of the classic is nice, although it is just a bit too much; I'll have to play with the settings once I get my triaxis repaired and really find out how it sounds. I did put the resistor included on the metal...I don't know why, but I did...and I suppose maybe another small resistor might bring the clean down just a bit. There is a heavy mid presence in the metal...if you look at the tone charts for the pup the midrange is massive, and the bass and treble are small. I like it a lot...this kid who played through it with his guitar...don't know what kind it was, I'll have to ask him...sorta looked like a wolfgang, with the stripped pups and all...it made the same tone that I play through, sound completely different. I got something of a Slayer tone out of it...and his pups gave it much more of a full, warm, less aggressive, almost nu-metalish tone. I was somewhat disappointed to find my soloist needed a bit of routing work to fit the pups, although it says that no guitar modification needed...but that was completed successfully, and things are good. Anyway...

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

Working...
                X