Jackson vs. ESP???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson vs. ESP???

What do you guys generally think about the non-LTD ESPs vs. USA made Jacksons?

My buddy has a Horizon NT-2 (???) and I played it for awhile tonight. Seems to have a "funny" (non-Jacksonish, not-Ibanezish even) feel to the neck but the tone and 'tain coming out of this guy was better than my RR-1.

I want to buy a strat/superstrat shaped body guitar and can't locate an American made PC series near me. However, the local chains do have a couple of non-LTD's in stock (I checked) and I am really tempted.

Anyone have extensive (meaning more than the 90 minutes I played with this one) experience with any ESP (not LTD) stuff they can compare with Jackson?

I'm not wild about the necks (I suppose I can get used to it or maybe this one I played was just a little off) and I really dislike the 'serial number block' thing on the fretboard but I have to say, the fit and feel of the body is pretty sweet and it holds harmonics for eternity!

I jammed with my buddy's garage band for a few songs (kind of a pick up session which is why I did not have my RR-1) and he let me use his Horizon-NT2 while he played his old BC Rich. This was the first time I was able to get through the lead in Crazy Train and have it sound remotely close since I got back into playing guitar a few months ago.

I have always prided myself on being a Jackson dude (RIP Rhandy!) but, and dare I say it, it seems like I am being tempted a bit by the "dark side of the force" with ESP here.

Anyone have a Jackson alternative to the high end ESPs that are available to try SOMEWHERE?

I played a PC and I like it a lot (old strathead is pretty cool) but nobody has one for sale near me.

See, now this is what really pisses me off about Jackson and the chains.
    Nobody carries the good stuff in my geography and because of this, Jackson is most likely going to lose this sale to a chain who will happily sell me an ESP.

This elitist attitude and "cottage industry" feel from Jackson corporate is not going to help them stay in business!!!

March

Ummm...they've had that elitist attitude and cottage industry feel since the beginning. You think Fender is snobby?! Try Grover!!! Well, if you like a guitar and it sounds/plays/feels like what you want, get it. Don't worry about brand loyalty. But this is a Jackson forum, so you're going to get a lot of people who say go Jackson, as would I. I don't think you can go wrong with an older Jackson, say an early Ontario model.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I've seen Rhodes... and Rhoades... but this is the first time I've seen it spelt Rhandy...

Comment

I like my ESP Skull and Snakes as much as I like my Jackson USA Fusion, and I like it as much as I like my Charvel Model 2's. There's nothing wrong with any well made comfortable feeling guitar. That being said, my Jackson Fusion has the sickest neck of the bunch.

Comment

ESP Customs have always been top notch guitars. From what I understand, the MIJ ESP customs currently being produced are much nicer than Custom Jacksons, and until the recent Jackson price increase, an ESP custom would cost you $1000-$2000 more for a similar product.

One of my good friends has both a custom Rhoads and a custom ESP Laiho, and he says his Laiho is noticeably nicer in every regard, everything from the binding, the fretwork, the paint and tone....

Now that Jackson's price increase on Customs has hit, it might be worth ordering a custom ESP. From the pictures he received of the build in process, the ESP shop is truly a custom shop, where one guy sits at one bench and makes and works on your guitar until it's finished, and that all regular MIJ ESPs are made in a different factory. At least that was what I was told. And it didn't take 2 years for him to get a custom. It only took about 5 months from initial quote to delivery.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I own both, Jacksons and ESP's and I will admit upfront that I'm more partial to Jacksons. Jacksons are more consistent in their setups than ESP's. I've tried some ESP's in the store that felt/played horrible despite looking great. I never ran into that with Jacksons. OTOH, the ESP's I do own, play just fine so it boils down to what feels/sounds better to you. A minor thing on the ESP's that bugs me is that their trem covers are plastic and non-recessed so the corners tend to crack whereas Jackson has that aluminum cover that is recessed looks much better to me, again a minor thing.

Rudy
            www.wickedrocks.com
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I do like my ESP custom..

Comment

No ESP please..
                I don`t like them really... I wanted one for a long time (Forest1000 I think)
                then I wanted to buy a Jackson... When I was searching for a RR3 I found
                the ESP Forest and some others ESP`s and I`ve tested them and I must
                say they don`t sound good in my ears...
                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I've had both and stuck with Jackson. My dk2m plays so well that I sold two of my USA's to get more dk2m's and amps.

Comment

My brother has an ESP and I have a US Jackson. I don't think there is really much difference quality wise. The only differences are the feel. I prefer my Jackson as I've played it more and he prefers his for the same reason.
                    On a board like this you will find a good deal of bias towards Jackson but I don't think you can go too far wrong with either as long as you stick to the high end guitars.

Comment

i have 1 esp a std sv[rr style] its a fantastic axe feels really good and sounds killer and cost me an arm and a leg,but its no way better than any of my jacksons and i have 6 of them
                      my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

To be honest MIJ ESPs are amazing, and in terms of quality you cant beat Japanese guitars. Same goes for Ibanez. Now USA Jacksons are great too, but they could do to step up consitancy it seems. Now in terms of imports, in value for your money and quality, Jackson wins hands down. I think the Import ESPs (ltds) have awful trems, and everyone Ive played has been in the "bleh" range. Thye arent bad per se, just the Jacksons seem to have more "feeling" to them or something. The import ESps are like Schecters: they just feel kinda lifeless to me.

Comment

I can't speak to the current ESP product, but I once had a late 80s early 90s ESP M1. That was my main axe for many years and I was totally satisfied. However, because it was older, its trem was not reccessed. Once I played a guitar with with a recessed trem it was all over for that ESP. I assume that the current crop of ESPs have recessed trems though.
                          Something I love about my USA Jackson is that the pickup rings are metallic and therefore will not crack. Every guitar I've ever owned with plastic pickup rings eventually cracked at one of the corners. I have no idea what's on the ESPs, but that is definitely something I love about my Jackson.

Comment

hmmmmmmmm..................... it will only be a matter of time before ESPee goes to shit too, happen to gibby, happing to jackson. Personally i loved my ec-2005, until i played an explorer, i bought one, then i got to try a dk2m, now i bought one of those. jackson has slim fast as lightning, esp necks are so so. Explorer right in between, its your money, if you like it, hell go for it. personally i would rather support the US, rather than some Japanese company, (sorry quantum). So Pc1 it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Fuck ESP...JK! Although I am a brand man, (only own 1 non-Jackson) I still feel they are (for me) the superior axe. I stand by them in the belief that they will straighten their act out. It'll take a lot more for me to jump ship. It's not like every other brand doesn't go through their good runs and bad...
                              Hear the universe scream
                              Bleeding from black holes
                              Whom horns careless
                              And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                              X