No announcement yet.

Jackson vs. ESP???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has different tastes. I had an ESP neck through (Jeff Hanneman model) which I used as a complement to my soloist of roughly the same vintage When I was playing more metal, I would use these guitars interchanably and while the ESP had a slighly different feel, it was not objectionable to me (I thought it felt kinda "short scale" compared to my soloist, even though it was supposed to be 25.5).

However, when I decided to get rid of one of them as my playing tastes changed, I kept the one that I thought felt/sounded better overall, which was the soloist. If I started playing neckthoughs again, I would probably try to track that guitar down, but until then, the soloist more than fits the bill for the number times I grap a neckthough guitar in the last couple of years.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I don't like the feel of ESP necks, but they are good guitars.
      Extremely expensive in Europe, unfortunately...
      Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
      http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

I would have to lean towards Jackson, if not completely fall all over them since I got my 94 Dinky XL. ESP makes a decent guitar, but I got so sick of seeing guitars from a distance and saying "That looks like a nice Jackson" or Charvel or something and then see a close-up and see it's an ESP. Sure everyone has to copy someone else's design to some extent being that there really isn't too much more you can do with a guitar without going bonkers, but I just think ESP has really lacked originality.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
          I just think ESP has really lacked originality.
          Good point. Also, allot of them only come in black

Comment

My brother has an ESP and I have a US Jackson. I don't think there is really much difference quality wise.
            +1 ... but i prefer Jackson necks. ESP necks feel weird.

ESP makes a decent guitar, but I got so sick of seeing guitars from a distance and saying "That looks like a nice Jackson" or Charvel or something and then see a close-up and see it's an ESP. Sure everyone has to copy someone else's design to some extent being that there really isn't too much more you can do with a guitar without going bonkers, but I just think ESP has really lacked originality.
            +1 as well. Of course, the jackson kelly is a kind of modified gibson explorer and so on.... but has anyone seen any ESP design that wasn't directly copied from another company? The only changes they make is to avoid lawsuits for plagiarism

"going bonkers" ... i like that one!
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Yeah, some of the Japanese stuff isn't too bad- I have a few- My '85 MIJ Stratocaster is considered the equal or superior to the American made ones of the period by collectors (according to some articles I've read- I don't really know since I have no others....last one I played was my ex-roomies '59 Sunburst like 15 years ago). I just don't care for playing them, but it's an interesting guitar and maybe it has a place in a collection. (The one I have has 4 autographs, so I don't play it anyway) This could be said for virtually any guitar, depending on the collector.
              I had to refer to all of the Asian stuff as Oriental in an effort to be somewhat PC in expressing my opinion....no offense is intended personally to anyone!
              But I digress! All of my current Jacksons are bolt ons, and I have two Les Paul Customs (Check out my tasty '77 Kalamazoo all- blonde!! http://www.myspace.com/mr_lizardman ) and I feel that quality means a lot to playability- more so than bolt on vs. neck through. ( I love the bare wood necks!) Most of the ESPs I've ever played/seen seemed ok, but the custom builds kick a lot of ass....the same can be said for Jackson. It's like comparing apples to oranges- both are good, but some people just like oranges better!

In other words: This is probably an endless thread that won't convince anyone of anything they don't already know or think they know....LMFAO!!
              Last edited by Mr.Lizardman; 03-19-2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

this thread is almost as stupid as that megadeth versus metallica thread i started surely threads with "vs" in the title should be banned because there nver going to end with a conclusion
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Can't we agree to disagree?? CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??
                  Ah, well, fuck it....ROCK ON!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X