No announcement yet.

Another darn n00b... ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome! Great opening post and great story. I don't play much out either. I just sit home and record these days. I'm 52, and one of the older members here:ROTF:

Watch out though, you will most likely come down with GAS. It's a sickness and one, I believe no doctor can cure
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Superb introduction! My story, like so many others here, is identical to yours & jrnic. Great folks here, so pull up a chair, thicken your skin & stick around.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I like you, DrDoug. If anybody messes with you, they'll have to answer to me!

Here is what I look like:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey whats up? Glad you joined the fun.This place rocks!
          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Welcome aboard...
            Ron, you are my idol now :ROTF:
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

So I have my back covered, eh RacerX? You look like you could do a damn good job of it...lol! I will have to dig up a recent photo of myself and post it. Just picture 6 foot tall, 175 lbs and blonde hair in a pony tail that goes almost to my waist. A lot thinner hair over the years, but I have had long hair since the early 70's, having cut it to my shoulders once to show my boss if I did not get a raise I was going job hunting... I got the raise, so it was worth it. He knew I was serious when I cut my hair.

Well, the pickup rings came in today! I put it together and strung it up. I use flatwounds, .011 to .050, as they are easier on the fingers for me. The FR Pro settled right in and I tuned it up, then intonated it without a problem. I just did a quickie tune as I will do a detailed intonation/tune after a couple of days of letting it settle in.

The results? It flat out rocks! Sustain to no end, and exactly the tone I was after. Even with new strings, the Floyd took the abuse and held tune very well. I jammed out to some Scorpions, Def Leppard and Metallica and I am pleased to no end with the change. I have the sound I want in the guitar I love, and that makes the work worth it.

I snapped a few pics of it after I just assembled it (before intonation/tune), and I will post them as soon as my wife coughs up the main computer as I have my own web servers in house, and I use the main pc for networking with them (I will put the pics on one of my servers). So they will be up soon!

Thanks for the welcome here folks, it looks like a fine place to hang out!

And for those who care, you CAN put a Floyd Rose Pro in a Jackson RR3 with relatively little work. I will put the dimensional pics on my server later (have to update them a bit) so if anyone who wants to know what needs to be done can see for themselves.

Comment

Well, of the four pics I shot, only this one came out good. I will shoot a full shot tomorrow and post it. It is an old digital cam, no flash but it takes great shots (usually) in daylight.

I like the reverse zebra/zebra, gives it an unusual look. The Floyd Pro sure looks nice too (works even nicer!)...

Better pics tomorrow! And more jamming...

Comment

looking sharp, man
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I can see now, you're addicted to chrome, dude Great job with the Floyd Pro, that's pretty interesting.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks guys! Yes, I am addicted to chrome. I like sparkly stuff so much I chromed the whole rear end in our Mustang (and lots of other parts on it). Working in a chrome plating shop had its advantages...lol!

Well, I noticed that the A string block (little black block that pinches the string in the saddle) was crooked. I tried to right it, but it will not stay upright, it insists on tightening crooked. I pulled the saddle assembly out of the Pro, and the chrome is peeling off of one side of it, and the arm that the black spring claw rides on is missing chrome. I checked the D block and it is peeling chrome too. Not good. Also, the trem arm has most of the chrome missing from the screw cap, and the arm itself is dull, opaque looking. Like it is a used one.

The Pro came in a Schaller box with all of the hardware (Pn#: B6001100), but with the overheated edge (white looking chrome on a corner, happens when plated at too high of a voltage), the trem arm, crooked block, nickel out in the D string saddle groove and the peeling chrome, I have to say that I am not very happy with it. I can tell the Pro unit is new as the chrome is unscratched, so it is not used. But this item never should have left the factory. The peeling chrome happens when a part is not properly cleaned, or there are structural flaws in the casting.

I ran a chrome line in a plating shop, and if I had approved these items the owner would have reamed my ass out. After disassembling the Floyd, I have tiny bits of chrome all over. I wrote JT at Floyd Rose, and I hope he can be of help with this. I took pics as best I can, and I sent him them. JT has been a tremendous help in making the conversion work, and he has always responded the next day after I write him. So it is good to know that the people at Floyd Rose take their stuff seriously.

I will let you know what develops. I know others are interested in putting a Floyd Rose Pro in their guitars, so I will try to be of help to them. Once I have everything together, I will post a thread in the Tech area about installing the Pro. That ought to help others out by having all of the info in one place.

I shall return!

Comment

Working...
                      X