Installed "GOLD" tuners on the San Dimas today w/pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed "GOLD" tuners on the San Dimas today w/pix

When I first got the "San Dimas" it had a black volume knob & black tuners.So I orderd a brass volume knob from MZ (suggestion from J/C members) to match the N.O.S bridge,and really liked it. Well I finally decided to get replacement gold Schaller tuners and they came today, and installed them along with some "DR" black beauties. And here it is. . I think the gold tuners brings out the gold Charvel logo now.
    What do guys think?

Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Originally posted by ADR View Post
    When I first got the "San Dimas" it had a black volume knob & black tuners.So I orderd a brass volume knob from MZ (suggestion from J/C members) to match the N.O.S bridge,and really liked it. Well I finally decided to get replacement gold Schaller tuners and they came today, and installed them along with some "DR" black beauties. And here it is. . I think the gold tuners brings out the gold Charvel logo now.
    What do guys think?

Looks great IMO. Do yourself a favor though and keep all the original hardware.

Comment

That looks sweet dude.

Comment

Get a gold truss rod cover from Dave ->Frets On The Net
        And it will be perfect...
        Can you tell me what do you think about DR strings in general?..
        How long do they last etc.?..

Thank you
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

nice, they really bring out that gold Charvel-logo
          Distractress

Comment

That looks really good! Very classy with the gold. Gives it a bit of the Custom Shop look.

If it were me, I'd also get a gold pickup ring from Dave, as well as replacing the switch with a gold one.

In my opinion that would complete the look.

By the way, which model # are those Schaller tuners? I'm thinking of changing the hardware in one of my guitars to gold as well.

Comment

LastinLine: I hear ya (The black knob is safely stored away) and the tuners I put in little plastic bags that the new tuners came in along w/the 6 screws.. . .just incase.( im anal about stuff like that,ya never know?)

wakeUPdead: Thanx

Special-K: This is my 1st time trying them (My best friend uses them and loves them) I took his advise and actaully got them,I like the look over the reg silver strings on my combo.( the instructions claim 3-4X longer,and no loss in tone) I didnt play the Charvel,just tuned it up and put it away,but felt nice and slinky from what I could tell.

Distracter: Cool thanx

37fiat: Pup ring may be next, been thinking about that & switch. I did a "custom shop generator" of my San Dimas with the gold Pup ring and not 100% yet,it kinda looked too much. For the switch,I may try to just get the gold washer & nut.. .if I do the switch ill have to do the input jack as well (it gets addicting)
              As far as the tuners. . I posted something in "tech" and got like 1 reply so I did some searching and emailing and finally got the correct ones.
              I found out that Charvel uses the "mini 6 inline" with 16:1 ratio. I found mine at guitarpartsdepot,(the Schaller website has no photo of the ones I needed) After couple emails I ordered them,the were 100% exact replacements. My only concerns were the screw placement and the shaft diameter. . perfect!!!
              You guys would of laughed,but didnt want to get get my fingerprints all over the new tuning keys,headstock etc. . .so I put on the blue latex gloves to do the install and not a single print anywhere :-)

The orignal tuners 10mm nuts were all loose and so were the 6 back screws. So when I installed them I put the tuner in,put the back screw in 98% of the way then reached around and put the washer and 10mm nut on by hand,than using a socket (no ratchet) tightened firm by hand,making sure not to overtighten,than went back and tightend the 6 back screws all the way.

ps: the code is "SM6IL-G"
              Last edited by ADR; 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM. Reason: added link and model #

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I'll be looking at a set in the near future. It's good to know those fit perfectly.

I was planning on changing just the washer and nut on my original switch as well, but after I tried it, I decided that it didn't look quite right, and swapped in the entire gold switch. I left the black cap on though for a bit of a contrast.

Comment

I went to Daves site and really liked the brass truss rod cover & brass Pup ring.So that will be next.
                  Special-K. . .thanx for letting me know about Daves site. Never heard of it before.
                  You guys like the different truss rod covers ( I know the RR owners do) How do you think a brass one will look on my San Daimas?
                  ~Andy

Comment

Oh, hell yes. Very nice.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Does the black from the strings come off on your fingers?

Comment

Looks killer, ADR ! I'm thinkin' about going gold on my Warrior.......
                        I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Does the black from the strings come off on your fingers?
                          I had those strings on one of my guitars. To answer your question, No, the color doesn't come off on your fingers, although it does wear off where you pick them, so after a while, it looks bad. One thing that I didn't like about them was that on a dark guitar with a rosewood board, unless there is a lot of light, you CAN'T SEE the strings! I had a problem when I looked down and saw nothing. Was very hard to play certain things where I would look down at the strings.
                          Guitars:
                          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                          1988 Model 2,
                          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                          RR3
                          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                          2005 SG Special

Comment

Gold hardware is a nice touch and a gold pickup ring will really add to that. But not a fan of the black strings. I've only played them once and wasn't impressed. As for appearance, they don't do anything for me but it's not my guitar. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

"DR" Extra Life-Black Beauties

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                              I had those strings on one of my guitars. To answer your question, No, the color doesn't come off on your fingers, although it does wear off where you pick them, so after a while, it looks bad. One thing that I didn't like about them was that on a dark guitar with a rosewood board, unless there is a lot of light, you CAN'T SEE the strings! I had a problem when I looked down and saw nothing. Was very hard to play certain things where I would look down at the strings.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Im so used to silver that the black strings take some getting used to,which is no big deal. I went from a 56 Strat to a Charvel.
                              Hey what the hell,ill give them a try.I do like the fact they make my RW boards dark grain come out even more. My frets are shinny,so seeing the strings isnt all that bad.
                              Just makes my Charvel look different, its nice not to notice the strings/or lack there of first.Hell ,I cant put them on my Vintage Strat,but can on my SD. Give them a try,ive always used Fender bullets and now look im using "DR" <like ADR> and also picked up a set of D'Addario with the heavier bottom 009-046 in Silver to try.
                              Anyway thanx for the feedback & comps.I emailed Dave about the brass Pup ring/truss rod cover,so waiting to hear back.

Comment

Working...
                              X