No announcement yet.

Rhoads guitars .... just curious ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sully - here's the thing though... weren't the 6 or so highly coveted "Shortwings" made by Mike Shannon as exact a replica as can be found to Randy's prototype? I thought that those were made USING the template used to make Randy's guitar..... ???

Comment

AFAIK the shortwings were not made with any template...I don't think there was ever a template made for Randy's Concorde. The shortwings were supposedly made by hand using numerous measurements taken from a collection of pictures of Randy's.
      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
      RIP Dime

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
        Wayne had nothing to do with anything Randy Rhoads. Wayne Charvel was gone by the end of 1978. Randy came to Grover Jackson for the 1st time at the end of 1982.
        What do you mean by Wayne was gone by 1980?
        I thought Grover worked with/for Wayne at Charvel....Randy came to Grover and Grover signed his name to the headstock because he didn't want to associate it with Charvel. Are you saying Grover bought Charvel by then and Wayne was out of the picture? I'm not too up to date on Charvel, so I'm just curious....

- Joel
        RIP Dime

Comment

Joel, Wayne sold Charvel to Grover in the fall of 1978.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Guitars
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Was the pointy headstock realy originaly designed by Randy? I thought that was a Wayne charvel creation.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              Was the pointy headstock realy originaly designed by Randy? I thought that was a Wayne charvel creation.
              Gil

I believe it was Grover Jackson that came up with the "pointy".
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

There was an article in Guitar World a month or two ago about the third guitar made for Randy, and where it is now. The story told in the article is that Randy worked with Grover to have 3 Charvels made in that shape. Because it was so radical compared to the strat shapes, Grover put his name on it instead. Two were built and used on tour. The third was never assembled so that they could make any mods to it that Randy wanted after the tour. I am not clear on if they had already made changes to that one when Randy died, but several years later the pieces for the third on were finally assembled and displayed as a show piece the year the Jackson was unveiled at NAMM. One of the workers at the booth didn't know what the guitar was and ended up selling it accidentally.

Comment

Ahh....well that makes sense now. Thanx Ron.
                  RIP Dime

Comment

You can go here to read a discussion about the 3rd RR V. There are differing stories out there.

Comment

There was this one dude on the Randy Rhoads TK who built replicas of Randy's V's.. I beleive udner the name of Jackal Guitars

Comment

Working...
                      X