Rhoads guitars .... just curious ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads guitars .... just curious ....

When and why did Jackson redesign the body style from the wider version that Randy played to the more narrow version with the more pronounced "V-cut"?

No complaints here, just curious.

I'm not positive, but I think the body style was changed while he was still alive. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to fill you in.

Comment

Tihs is correct, what is today referred to as an "LTD" Rhoads is essentially a "copy" of the prototype, wheras the current Rhoads body shape (AFAIK Unchanged since it´s introduction in ´84 or so) is the result of Jackson modifying the prototype design to change the guitar from Randy´s first concept to Randy´s dream.

My understanding is that the Rhoads body shape was already finalized before his death, the "classic" pic of him sitting on the sofa with his 2 Rhoads and Sandoval in the background could certainly be seen as evidence of this...

In other words (and MO), an LTD is a copy of the prototype, a PCS is a copy of the final design, and the RR1T is the closest thing to a PCS available today (outside the CS).

Comment

Randy first came to Grover and Wayne asking for a custom guitar like what he had sketched on paper. According to the story Grover was hesitant to put the Charvel name on something so radical from the strat bodied guitars they were building, so Grover signed his name on the headstock (this was the Concorde V or what the LTD's were modeled after - white, black pins). Soon after Randy came back to Grover saying he wanted to make a sleeker version of the V, so Randy working with Grover and Mike Shannon came up with the Rhoads V we all know today. This is the black string thru with brass hardware. There were supposedly a couple more being built for Randy at the time of his death, but what came of them is quite cloudy to the only guys who would know for sure.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I'm glad this subject came up. I was wondering if anyone out there would know of a builder that could/would produce an accurate version of the LTD body. I've got a project I'm starting work on and the bigger serface area would really fit the graphic I have in mind.

Comment

to piggyback on earlier statements, randy said that too many people called the white guitar a flying v. can't understand why, but it was refined into what it is now.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Looks more like a Sharks tale
                www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz666 View Post
                  Randy first came to Grover and Wayne asking for a custom guitar like what he had sketched on paper.

- Joel
                  Wayne had nothing to do with anything Randy Rhoads. Wayne Charvel was gone by the end of 1978. Randy came to Grover Jackson for the 1st time at the end of 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by abitfunky View Post
                    I'm glad this subject came up. I was wondering if anyone out there would know of a builder that could/would produce an accurate version of the LTD body. I've got a project I'm starting work on and the bigger serface area would really fit the graphic I have in mind.
                    All LTDs that JCMI has ever produced were done using the original templates, that´s about as accurate as it gets

Or if you mean as a "body only" for a parts axe: get the best set of LTD specs you can off a forum Bro that owns one and have Warmoth or someone similar custom make you one. Won´t sound authentic, though, because of the missing neck-thru construction

Comment

Thanks Zerberus for the reply and idea. The bolt on route is the way I'd be going as there is no way I would attemp a neck-through with my skill level.

So I'm putting out an ABP for any forum bros that own a LTD and would be willing to do a tracing of the body for me to get the correct dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
                        Wayne had nothing to do with anything Randy Rhoads. Wayne Charvel was gone by the end of 1978. Randy came to Grover Jackson for the 1st time at the end of 1982.

...i think you mean 1980.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
                          Randy wasn't contacting anyone by late '82....
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                            All LTDs that JCMI has ever produced were done using the original templates, that´s about as accurate as it gets
                            that's the thing, though; there are no original templates for the LTD shape. the original run of 200 had a lot of differences from the guitar it was supposed to replicate. the body shape and dimensions were way off. the 25th anniversary is a lot closer, but i heard that there were some flaws in that as well. i have no idea what they are offhand, and they look WAY more accurate than the LTDs do.

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              Randy wasn't contacting anyone by late '82....
                              Doh!!!!!!!!! you're right. Randy died March 19th, 1982.

Comment

Working...
                              X