All EMG-ed up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All EMG-ed up...

Sweet. You have to remember that EMGs have a basically even tonal response, which may sound flat once you get it through an amp. You'll have to do some EQ adjustments to get "your" sound back if you had it set to work with the tonal influence of passive pickups.
    If you've already been using EMGs previously, then everything I've said is basically useless to you [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

All EMG-ed up...

Just threw a set of Zakk Wylde EMGs into my KV2-HRF... only had a chance to try them through my GT6 into my computer (my Laney is out at our practice room), but so far so good! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I'll post again once I've tried 'em in a band situation...

Steve.

Comment

Re: All EMG-ed up...

I'm wanting to try an EMG set 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. Is it tough to instal them? Would I need different tone and volume pots? I plan on putting them into one of those musicyo Kramer Explorer ripoffs.

Comment

if you buy packaged emg's they will come with the pots and the proper jack
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

You have to do a bit of soldering, and you need to make room in the cavity for a 9V battery. Not too hard, if you know what your doing.

Comment

EMG has the best support I have ever seen also... they will help you with anything.

Also, their new pickups are cool to install because they come with little connectors sticking out of the pickup and the matching cable, which is a generic part.

Dont buy new though, there are plenty pf people selling EMGs in good shape around here. I just got a perfect 81 for $50...

The pots for the 81 (and I think all of them) are 25K ones, which are different than the passive I believe. Like said above, they originally come with all the matching parts but I have seen that ususally people also sell them as a complete set with pots jack and everything.

Ahhh... also, the jack is different. You need a stereo jack, which is used to switch the battery on and off when you plug and unplug your cable. The life of the battery is about one year if you remember to unplug the cable from your guitar after you are done playing every time.

Hope I said something useful there... Jon, feel free to ask me any installation related questions at: [email protected]

[ April 03, 2003, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
              EMG has the best support I have ever seen also... they will help you with anything.

----

The pots for the 81 (and I think all of them) are 25K ones, which are different than the passive I believe. Like said above, they originally come with all the matching parts but I have seen that ususally people also sell them as a complete set with pots jack and everything.

Ahhh... also, the jack is different. You need a stereo jack, which is used to switch the battery on and off when you plug and unplug your cable. The life of the battery is about one year if you remember to unplug the cable from your guitar after you are done playing every time.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll just reiterate what he said:

-Yes, their service is great. I've email their service department a few times and have gotten really helpful and friendly emails (though it did take a couple of days; I imagine they're pretty busy).

-All EMGs use 25k pots, where passive pickups us 250k or 500k pots. If you buy an EMG used you can usually find the pots you need at any EMG dealer - a local dealer sold me a volume/tone set for $5. Or you can get them direct from EMG.

Comment

Working...
              X