Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 2 identification

Hey guys,

Sorry if this isn't the right subforum for this or if there's already info here to ID this puppy, but I've been poking around and searching for at least a couple of hours and can't seem to find anything. Please feel free to verbally abuse me if ignorance has gotten the better of me... :P

I'm looking to ID my Charvel Model 2. The serial number on the neck plate is 285400. It's got a Jackson licensed Floyd and the neck plate has a gasket, not sure if that info will help much. I'm mainly interested in finding out what year it was made and where it was made as well. I've owned it since 1990 (purchased used with safety case), so it's got to be older than that (obviously), but I'm not sure when Model 2 production ended.

And speaking of the safety case, anyone know where I can get one? Three of the four closure hasps have broken off and one of the hinges is toast as well. I know I can get a generic case for it but would like to find an original Charvel safety case if I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Dave

welcome, Dave. Here's a guide on dating Model series guitars: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25286

Yours was made in Japan around '87 or '88. The guide should help you pinpoint the year.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by modelo dos View Post
      Hey guys, I've been poking around and searching for at least a couple of hours and can't seem to find anything. Please feel free to verbally abuse me if ignorance has gotten the better of me... :P
      :ROTF:

Newbie!

and, to head off Special K:

Pic hosting how to: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29708
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the help guys. Looks like it's an '87 as it has the gasket. Not sure about the JT-6 trem, is that Jackson's ID for the Floyd?

As for pics, I can surely get some up here, though I must warn you she's been through a lot. Most of the damage was done before I got her, the rest came thanks to the issues with the safety case. It popped open once in transport and she took a few hits. I thought I'd shit a brick when it happened... Regardless, still a solid guitar and with the SH-8 Invader I threw in recently, she sings a lead that words can't describe. I've had a few other guitars over the years, but they're no longer with me and I always come back to her. She stays in tune like no other I've ever owned as well.

The only issues I have with her are the fine tuners getting a little gummed up (due to design, methinks) and the fact that the previous owner tried to use the wrong size allen wrench on the saddle screws, stripping the heads. Somebody needs a beating for that one....if only I could find the miserable prick...

Again, thanks for the welcome and the help.

Regard,
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by modelo dos View Post
          Not sure about the JT-6 trem, is that Jackson's ID for the Floyd?
          Welcome, Dave.
          Yes, it's Jacksons ID for one of their tremolos. Take a look at The TIP Page to get the most updated overview of many of the tremolos used on the Jackson and Charvels. It has lots of pictures so you can spot yours and ID it.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the additional info on the trem, Henrik. Think I'll saunter over to the Tips page for look-see...

Edit: Again, at the risk of being ignorant, where the hell is the tips page?
            Last edited by modelo dos; 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Click on the words in my post, modelo dos. They are an active link. You will be taken to another site. Don't believe every word on that pompous site, though
              Henrik

Comment

Doh!!! Boy, don't I feel like an ass...never occured to me that TIP stood for Tremolo Info Project...

Sorry, my brain tends to shut off when I punch the clock at quitting time most days...

You know anything about the author of this information...can I be sure he's credible?

Thanks again for the help, sorry for being so dense.

Edit: Nice compilation, Henrik. Looks like the JT-6 is a winner. After reading about the original Floyd swap, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind doing that if I can find one used and in good shape, those JT-6 fine tuners seem to be problem on mine.
                Last edited by modelo dos; 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Hope this helps!

I have logged over 100 Charvel Models 1 thru 4 by serial number and features - just trying to let the data do the talking. So...285400 falls into my 1988 data spread. Simple prominent features for a 2 with this number (unmodded guitar) should be "R" in circle on BOTH headstock AND neckplate, neckplate gasket, and a JT-6 tremolo. More data obviously will add more focus - but for now the 1988's seem to run from about 274XXX to 314XXX, followed by a wierd transition period to the "toothpaste" guitars in '89. Hope this helps.

Mark
                  "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Hi Mark, I see you found your way in here. Welcome!
                    Henrik

Comment

Working...
                    X