Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Charvel Jackson Hardshell Dinky Strat Case

Hey again guys,

In a recent previous thread (my first, not a JCF virgin anymore ), I mentioned something about the poor condition of my Charvel safety case. I was hoping to come across another one, but have yet to do so. Anyway, I thought I'd take a crack at trying to fix mine a little today, ended up smashing my left index finger quite badly with an 18 lb sledge (no playing for awhile, I'm afraid ) and just might have taken my pain and anger out on what was left of the case. Needless to say, it won't be carrying a guitar again, ever.... but I digress....

I found a case for sale listed as "Original Charvel Jackson Hardshell Dinky Strat Case". The description says it fits Dinky strat, Soloist and professional series. I'm wondering if my Charvel Model 2 will fit snugly in this case. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
    Dave (and throbbing bloody index finger)

Nope.
    A Dinky fitted case is too small for the full size Model 2 strat body.
    You need a case that will hold a strat.

Edit: Sorry to hear about the finger... done that more than once myself.
    Sucks for a few days.
    -Rick

Comment

Ouch, How do you fix a case w/ an 18# hammer anyway???? other than the obvious..

Comment

Good question, actually...I was wondering when someone might ask that...

2 of the hinges were pulled out and I was using the sledge (its a hand sledge, not like one you might used to drive a post in the ground) with a cold chisel to roll the crimps back. Aside from that, 3 of the 4 hasps are pulled were competely out of the shell... I guess I thought I'd try to patch it up as best as possible, no need to worry about that anymore, though...

I like (or liked) the case as it was compact and the guitar fit in it snugly. But with the hasp and hinge issues, it had a nasty habit of popping open. The last time it happened, the body suffered some minor finish damage and the edge of the fretboard suffered a small ding. Let's just say it was enough to piss me off and prompt me to attempt to fix the case or find another (which I have yet to do).

Comment

If the spot is where I believe it is, you have to drill 'em out....I deal with this kind of thing in my 'day job' pretty regularly- then use pop rivets to reaffix. Hope this helps save the next wayward case from retribution....

How bad was the destruction? There ain't nothin' duct tape won't fix! j/k

Comment

Thanks for the info, Mr. Lizardman. For the hasps, they were pulled completely out of the shell, leaving rather large holes. The only way I could see fixing them was by using sheet metal (inside and out, like a sandwich) and extending the repair are well outside of the holes. The hinges are held on by pointed ends of the hinge, rolled over the aluminum case edging on the inside.

Given the previous and recent damage, I think she's a loss. Duct tape won't even save her now....

I did find another J/C hardshell (not the same as the original compact grey case) and posted here with photos to try and get feedback if it will suit my Model 2. I just hate the thought of my baby lying around all naked and exposed (the Model 2, not my girlfriend )....

Here's the post if anyone can help:
            http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68667

Comment

I doubt I'd leave MY lady just laying around naked if you know what I mean....(nodnodwinkwinksaynomore)
              I've got a recent aquisition with similar problems- gray, vaguely guitar shaped Jackson case with only the headstock end hasp actually operable/complete. The clips on the lid are still there, just not the rotating hasp part- Anyone have any available? Maybe you could salvage a few parts from yours, modelo dos? I'd be interested if so-
              Anyway- have to brag a little here- the guitar in the case is a Jackson Fire Crackle bolt on Dinky with San Dimas plate # 2710 in 1 single and 1 hum configuration w/Jackson Floyd and behind the nut string lock and rosewood dot fingerboard. The back of the headstock is signed by Grover Jackson and numbered as #65/100. A couple paint chips on the head and body from being gigged, but surprisingly nice for a 20 year old working guitar! I'd like to keep it in the original case if possible....

Comment

Point taken on the lady , though she does look mighty tasty like that...but I digress, majorly...

The case you describe sounds like the one I have. I was hoping to find one just like it but will be happy if I can find another J/C case that it will fit.

As for salvaging hardware, well, that's about all she's good for at the moment. I have 3 of the 4 hasps, including the one with the padlock tang (nearest the handle). I have the handle, 3 hasps, 3 hinges and 4 feet, as well as the stryofoam liners for both shell halves (these are in pretty good shape, not perfect). The shells are toast. I think we can arrange something if your interested. At least I'd know part of the case will live on and someone is making good use of them.

Sounds like you have a nice guitar there.

Comment

Working...
                X