~Paint defect in the headstock of my San Dimas~ w/HQ pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Paint defect in the headstock of my San Dimas~ w/HQ pix

I noticed not to long after getting my San Dimas a blemish/defect "if you will" under the Charvel logo.. .smear or glue? lack of black paint? Its under the black plastic and appears to be gold.Its really bothering me,should I pursue it?Heard about the customer service and nightmares about sending them back and months passing by.Never noticed it at the store,depends on the light.
    What would you guys do??. .I havent contacted where I purchased it from or contact FMIC yet, this is my first step in discussing it. It was the 1st thing my friend noticed yesterday,I wasnt sure to just live with it or try to get a new neck?

Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Well that's clearly a problem.
    sigpic

Comment

Take it back.
      The clear coat is lifting... shitty prep work caused it.
      It will continue to get worse.
      -Rick

Comment

At least contact the dealer and get a claim of some sort going. You may end up not doing anything, but it's better than to have never even asked. Looks kinda bad though...

Comment

Yeah it does.Im going to go foward, call them and bring it in.Go from there,for what they ask $$$ for these Charvels,can it be repaired or get a new neck?

Comment

Since it's not a custom shop piece, they will most likely swap out the neck.
            -Rick

Comment

I wouldnt mind that,how does that work? They can have the neck back. Dealer have to submit warr claim or something? My pix will be a + on my side.
              Just hope the new neck is A+ like this one plays & feels.

Comment

man that is a shame that this kind of defect would ever happen.

I've had my Model 2 for 20 years and have never had any such problem.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

That seems to be a pretty comon problem with the new Charvels. I had one like that, lifted right by the logo too. Mine was a custom and they wanted me to ship the whole guitar back. I just ended up selling it.

Comment

Before you get all worked up and take it back, try taking some rubbing compound to the top of it. It just may be the tru oil finish wrapped around the edge and smeared on to the headstock polyester top coat.

This is the type of stuff I offered to take care of for Jackson so they wouldn't have bunch of pissed off customers. I was hoping to get some kind of Authorized Finish Repair from them. But there is so much going on there that it will never happen. If you decide to not ship it back, it is repairable with the same materials that the factory uses.
                    Sucks that is there in the first place. Check with where you bought it, I may have been handling damage after it was recieved by the dealer. It probably wouldnt be the first time.

Good luck,
                    Mike
                    Last edited by Learn Guitars; 04-09-2007, 10:45 PM.
                    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Mike: How much to send to you for a matching headstock? That would be my best bet.Its Black Cherry. That way I can keep the orignal neck.
                      ~Andy

Comment

That's weak prep work - inexcusable. Give them a short rope to hang themselves with, and if (read "when") they blow you off, chew 'em a new one.

I expect that on Korea/China imports, but c'mon - for the price you paid, you deserve a guitar that is FLAWLESS!
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

My San Dimas is in the exact same state...
                          I figure it's just one step closer to how it will look when i bump the pointy into a cymbal and chip-off a chunk, lol!

Comment

Take it back, you can clearly see there is a fault.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mike. I tried to buff mine out it was definatly a finish issue. I owned the guitar for a little over a year and it hardly changed at all. But the last time I took it out of the case the size of the blem had doubled.

Comment

Working...
                              X