No announcement yet.

~Paint defect in the headstock of my San Dimas~ w/HQ pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is just the nature of the sg-100. It doesn't ever really cure like the catalized topoats. Sometime it is user error putting too much on when not nessecary to do what it is needed for. Mostly sealing graphics and logos. The only way I have had luck with the SG is if it sets for a long dam time and use scotch brite to help with the mechanical adhesion. I dont know if Antonio has been messing with the alternative materials I left him when I was over there last.

Mike
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Hey Mike, hey sully: Here is my baby outside in direct sun. So F'in hard to capture its true color. I had to downsize it from 1200 x 1600 so slighty jagged edges.
      sully : This is a custom color (Black Cherry 04 on their color chart) and IIRC a $300.00 upcharge. Def worth it,paint gloss/depth is nothing short of AWESOME.On the HOK site they have a "Dark Cherry", I was wondering if this is it, but Charvel just changed the name.

Mike: ill send you the neck, can you paint my headstock to match? and fix the my blemish. Can you do it ????
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

I could do it, But I would need the entire guitar to do a match correctly. The other problem with the color change is it wouldnt be clean to mask off the existing logo an repaint with the new color. Therefore, you would need a new logo. I asked Kotzen about it and he gave me the impression that getting a new logo from the factory would be pretty tough.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Why not use a 2 part clear and skip the SG-100? Too thick? I've used PPG OMNI clear for headstocks over transfers and water decals with no negative affects. It's a little thinner than the full blown PPG clear, which is a 3 component catalyzed clear coat, whereas the OMNI, which is their economy line, is a 2 part clear. Just a thought here. Seems like it would save some cost also
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

~Update~

Update: Was able to get to the music store today to show the manager. He took all the info and asked the salesman to take pix,I told him I have hi-rez pix (Canon 8.0MP),so I emailed them like 10 or so.Then I remembered that there were 2 other concerns as well.There is a white-ish color on the black near the low-E curve and 2 small holes in the wood near the end of the point (see pix below) that im also concerned about.
            So step 1 in the process has begun.. . Wish me luck guys.

Comment

Found this old Charvel on fee-bay for sale right now (posted link in fraud forum) thats headstock peeling/clear lifting like mine,however its 25 yrs old not brand new.

Comment

If I may stick my nose in here, I think the problem is that the inter-coat clear is having adhesion issues with the plastic overlay. To eliminate the problem, all they would have to do is spray the adhesion promoter on the over-lay, then 1 coat of clear, color sand and apply the decal, then clear top coat. That would still look good 50 years from now.
                (BTW, I'm not speculating here, I've done it. Ask Pebber)
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

mm2002: No problem.Any info I can get is very helpful,please stick your nose in anytime. I had a 86 Jackson bolt-on and #1010 and no headstock issues,I do recall a year or so later they stop using the black plastic overlay,cause my friend ordered a 2H in CAR and first thing I noticed was the lack of black plastic,Logo changed slightly and "R" inplace of "TM".
                  Not sure if you read all my posts but im in step 1 of getting it taken care of,so its a waiting game now. Not to to noticable but. . . may get worse. sounds great with my new VOX AD-30,so keeping my mind off the blemish.

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                    please stick your nose in anytime.
                    WOW! In 5 years you're the first person on this forum to ever tell me that! :ROTF:

Seriously, glad things are working out.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Found another San Dimas with HS blemish !!!

sorry to keep bringing to your attention these things BUT. . . Right now on feebay . . there is a 05 San Dimas in snow white.The serial is 62XX or something. Look at these pix,same exact thing is going on.Its not the top clear coat, but under. . the black just like mine. . WTF????? 2nd pix. . . same thing,right where the curve is where the low E has same blemish too.

Comment

well. yeah. we've kinda talked about what the probable cause of the issue is. you can't expect that yours is the only one to have been shot in that method, ya know? i'd think that many of the new ones will have this issue. if it's any consolation, the old ones had clear lifting issues. so if nothing else, it's period correct, ho ho ho ho...

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why don't we see this happening with Jacksons? Whenever a pic of this pops up, its always a Charvel. I assumed they used the same process on both except maybe the logo not being a decal on the Jacksons. Still, why isn't the clear lifting on those?

Rudy
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X