Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Jackson buy Westone back in the 90's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jackson buy Westone back in the 90's?

I was seeing an EBAY auction and the guy selling the Westone wrote that Jackson actually bought Westone in the 90's.

Do you guys know if this is true? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I had a Westone sometime ago and i really liked it, that's where the interest comes from, in case you're wondering.
    Facebook - Youtube

Re: Did Jackson buy Westone back in the 90\'s?

Nope. Total fabrication.

Comment

The information that I have; The factory where Westone guitars were built was purchased by the Singer Sewing Machine Co. in 1987, just shortly after Westone released the XA-1630. If the opportunity arises to obtain one of these instruments, jump on it! They have a funky trem and a strange cutaway but are exceptional.

Comment

Hey grandpa,

Got any pics of that model?
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

The dudes who bought Westone in the 90's were from the UK. I cant remember which UK builder it was at the moment..........

Comment

Another piece of trivia for you: Westone was founded by Leslie West, former guitarist with Mountain, who played at Woodstock. Their biggest (only?) hit was "Mississippi Queen."

So now you know..... The Rest of the Story...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Thanks Grandpa,

Could you send me some of those?

[email protected]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Kuerbo;
                I have pics of the one I refinished in Cherry-Glo for my grandson but don't know how to post them.
                He has several J/Cs and considers this the best he has.

Comment

I think I may have had that Weston model your talking about Grandpa. Mine had a strange single locking trem and the body was like a larger sized Specter bass in a way with the top of the lower cutaway on top of the body lowered. It had a humbucker and two singles, 22 medium frets, small dot inlays, chrome hardware and it was in red. I remember the pickups were wired with this flat computer ribbon wiring and the volume and tone pots were mounted to a circuit board in the control cavity. If thats what your grandson has I had one too. I got mine for high school graduation in 1989. I had been drooling over it in the local shop for about a year. Why a Westone? It was either that or a Peavey. That was just about all you could get in this little town here and I already had some shredders. I liked the Westone because it looked different and had real smooth sound. Over my BC Rich NJ guitars it was my favorite and main guitar.

Comment

Jon;
                    Westone made several XA models with this body.
                    The 1530 had vol and 1 tone, the 1630 had vol and 2 tones. They also made 1330 and 1430.
                    They used either chokes or audio transformers mounted on the pots. I have tried to get the wiring schematic for the 1630 so I can duplicate it on a custom. The tone controls have MUCH more affect than anything else I have seen.
                    The one I finished for my grandson is Cherry Burst over Gold.

Comment

What a trip. I thought I was one of the few that ever actually owned one. I never really knew much about it. I just played the hell out of it. I layed down my first track with it. It out does my cousins ESP MII in the recording. I used it for chorusy clean stuff or for when I was doing rythems. I loved it. I ended up trading it and some cash for a Hammer Explorer with a flame maple top in trans blue that had a locking trem and reversed headstock. Think bolt on Hammer. I don't know where the kid got it. He was legaly blind and wasn't really worried about appearance. He just wanted a comfortable guitar to play. I was looking for a visually stunning guitar and this turned out to be a good trade. My mom never let me forget about trading off the graduation present she got me. Oh well, 100+ guitars later, it's water under the bridge. Thanks Grandpa, that info took me back a couple decades.

Comment

Jon;
                        The XAs are rare, I have read that only 10 of the 1630s were produced. I find this doubtful.

Comment

Is that one of the "Pantera" series of about 15 years ago? I remember they made a Flame Maple neckthru with actives and a fixed bridge, that was just beautiful! I used to dream about that one when I was a kid...

Comment

The 'Pantera' was one of a number of series built.
                            The XA series has a unique body cutaway.

Comment

I had a Westone "The Rail" headless bass. It had two chrome pipes with a sliding pickup on it. I had a buddy who had one also. Both were junk..basically just conversation pieces. I also had a Pantera model and another black with red dots and binding "metal" style guitar that both were marginal instruments. Westones were made in a few plants including Fuji Gen Gakki in Japan (who also make Fender and Ibanez guitars)and Saehan in Korea who made the Korean BC Rich's, Fernandes, Vester, and Ovation/Applause guitars.

[ April 09, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Working...
                              X