Jackson Made Amps???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my 4X12 -

The truth? Sounds like ass. It was really cheap ($150 off Craigslist) and I know why. That metal grate doesn't do crap to protect the cones from a substance called "beer" as I found out when I took the grate off to inspect the farting sounds it was making.

Oh well - at least the cab's cool, and I know that beer goes in my tummy, not on my equipment, so when I replace the speakers with Celestions I'll have no worries about future "incidences"...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Well, might as well show mine off.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

my understanding is that Lee Jackson was designing an amp for a different company and the design ended up being used by Jackson guitars to build those heads. The "Jackson" name commonality is purely coincidental.

Comment

I don't think Lee Jackson had anything to do with the Jackson amps.

Comment

The mid shift on the JG is similar to what Lee uses as a mod for Marshalls. He had something to do with the perfect connection preamps which I believe utilized a similar preamp as the JG does.

Comment

He lists all of the amps he was involved with, including Ampeg, Metaltronix, and Crate. I'm pretty sure, that if he had anything to do with the Jackson amps, he would list those too. I could be wrong, but that's my guess at this point.

Comment

I don't doubt that. I'm just saying theres some similarities between the two. I just looked at the JG controls. The mid are broken down in two stages.. the first mid control is just 0-10, the 2nd is 3 pos switch... so t does vary from his preamp and mod kits.

Comment

Here is my old Jaclson Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Hossman View Post
                    Here is my old Jaclson Cabinet
                    Hey, yours has the legendary red X speakers in it by the looks of it. How do they sound? :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                      Here's my 4X12 -

That's the one I had.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                        Yeah, they had the Reference, pictured above, the JG series and the Apogee combo which was a ss/tube hybrid.
                        I know, I know . . . digging up an old thread. But I emailed Steve Mauriello, the guy who built the Apogee combos for Jackson, and he assured me that the Apogee was all-tube.
                        sigpic

Comment

really? hmm, I appreciate the correction Ryan. I was always under the impression they had a ss preamp and tube output. I was just basing that on memory of course. I looked over that one at Spring Lake Park MGR. Do me a fav tho and physically confirm again by checking yours if you get the chance? Take a pic if you could. That would be ideal as I'd like to know where they're sitting. Maybe they are sublevel sitting on a board w/o tube sockets.
                          Last edited by charvelguy; 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                            really? hmm, I appreciate the correction Ryan. I was always under the impression they had a ss preamp and tube output. I was just basing that on memory of course. I looked over that one at Spring Lake Park MGR. Do me a fav tho and physically confirm again by checking yours if you get the chance? Take a pic if you could. That would be ideal as I'd like to know where they're sitting. Maybe they are sublevel sitting on a board w/o tube sockets.
                            Just so you know and if anyone else is interested Ryan is correct the Apogee as well as the Reference line were and still are ALL tube no hybrid designs were ever used. There is a well filtered/regulated and quiet 12 volt D.C. heater supply for the pre-amp tubes and some who really don't know might think that the 78XXseries voltage regulator is a transistor but this is not the case!,..and the cabs I built were all birch and ALL used Celestion vintage 30's or modern lead 70's. I am bringing into market an all new amp line up....BARKING DOG AMPLIFIERS/Mauriello Designs...Thanks,Steve Mauriello

Comment

Thanks for posting Steve & Ryan.

So the reference cabs were all birch ply?

Comment

and, BTW...my opinion was made based upon a glance lasting about 5-10 seconds.. at a guitar store.. I tilted the amp forward a few inches while standing up .. seen the output and no preamps, assumed it was a hybrid.
                                Last edited by charvelguy; 05-07-2007, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X