ID this Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this Charvel?

Hey everyone, I was looking on the net, trying to ID this guitar when I found this fine site. I've narrowed it down some but all the specs and years just confused me. It was a basket case when I got it but it had the J95 still in it. It has 8 stamped on the neck heel, scarf joint, Jackson tuners and trem, Fort Worth neck plate serial # 0106. The body appears to be mahogany? and can anyone tell me what kind of wood was used for the laminated top? The trem was missing some parts so I used an old Floyd that came off another old Charvel. Somebody had spray canned it and robbed the rest of the electrical stuff. Turns out that it plays real good. Huh? thanks

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/Jbirdman_photo/

model 8 or 88. Single hum? reverse headstock? Single coil? tele shaped or Strat shaped? Are you sure the plate is just 4 digit?

I missed the link.. its an 88 neck.. looks like a model 2 body, but .. if it is mahogany.. its the stock body too..
    The bridge pickup should be at a slant.. so, maybe someone filled it and rerouted, or one came with a straight on..altho I doubt it.
    I would say its a modded 88.

here's what it looks like stock.
    http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/images/222_1a.jpg
    Last edited by charvelguy; 04-12-2007, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks, yeah the plate says 0106. Do you know the year?

Comment

They were a limited run model. probably less than 500? I think they were produced in.. guess what.. 1988.

Comment

Thanks man,

Comment

No problem.. strip off that black and you should have a nice natural mahogany body under the finish. Looks cool black tho too.

Comment

The Model 88 info page:
              http://www.geocities.com/flatlandmus...eInfoHome.html

Comment

Not a model 2 body its a dinky body.106 would be the 106th model 88.Reverse headstock with sharks= model 88.The non slant hum route kills the value if it is indeed an 88.Strip it and find out.Model 88s had an African ribbon mahogony body which looked killer.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dave (Budman) has one he sanded down and put a satin finish or tung oil finish that looks more awesome than the stock 88.

Comment

I had a Charvel Model 88.Even from the low rez pix,it looks like that was painted with a spray can?
                    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

yeah, it looks like a rattle can job.

Comment

I'm worried that if he strips it there's going to an ugly surprise where the pickup route was modded. Worth doing anyway, though. If it can't be made to look good with the natural wood, it deserves a quality paintjob.

Comment

Working...
                        X