best heavy pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best heavy pickup

Doc: Damn, dude. I'd heard those Paralell Axis things were out there, but DAAAAAAAMN! I HAVE to get one of those things. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And my nomination still stands for the Duncan Distortion.

Comment

Those Parallel Axis Distortion Trembuckers sound awesome, too!! Ken (WarriorX7) has them in his Warriors, and they're incredible! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like those duncan disigned detenator's the invader wanabes right now , they sound a little less than the real deal and a lot cleaner , and a hell of a lot cheaper than the real deal , we recorded our new cd with em or I did anyway , we'll have sound clips up soon on mp3 .com I like em very shocking but I do , the duncan distortion is nice as well ,but I think I am gonna put JB's in all my guitars [in the bridge] cause my amp has so much ****ing gain man ! now I play with my gain at 7 and it's heavy as **** , when we recorded the other day I had it on 5 and it was brutal man ! I can roll the gain off to 3 and it's heavyer than any marshall Valvestate I have ever played or any Marshall hot rodded amp . so in this case I am gonna go with the jb's I think . //Steve

Comment

The Invader has the beef! I love mine. I use it with all my mids scooped and it is chunk heaven. It kinda cleans up okay, but that isn't really what it's for. You can turn the volume off on the guitar and still hear it faintly through the amp. You can even talk close to it and it makes noise.

The Seymour Duncan Distortion or TB-6 is killer! My favorite so far. It is good for rythem and leads. It's loud as hell and gets the job done right for metal.

One day I will try a Dime Bucker, but I have to check an EMG 81 first. I have played with one a long time ago, but didn't get enough time to really get to know it.

For me personnaly, the DiMarzio Super Distortion is a little too vintagy, warm sounding and doesn't suit Metal as far as my ears can tell.

The JB is a pretty nice one, but it isn't a screamer to me.

Out of experience though, I'd have to go with the Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion. Best I've used so far.

Comment

Let me point this out, since it was pointed out to me before. The TB-6 is the trem spaced SH-6. Same thing, different width. Purchase accordingly if you go that route.

Also, the Duncan Design HB103 is based on the Duncan Distortion but do NOT take that as meaning they sound the same. The Duncan Designs sound pretty muddy to my ears, and I like Kyuss.

Comment

X2N! X2N! X2N! X2N! X2N! X2N! X2N! X2N!

I got an Ibanez with them in it ten years ago, and have been sadly addicted to them for metal playing ever since.

Comment

One of my favorite pickups has been the Tone Zone. Anyone else tried it?
                www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

im thinking or a duncan screaming demon,

the bill lawrence xl500 is basically the same as a dmebucker, dime used the bl but was finding them hard to get hold of so got sd to make him the dimebucker, which is almost teh same

David

Comment

hey DOC, have you tried the Custom 5? i'm real interested in hearing one of them. the SH/TB-14. i have never tried the the Parralel Axis though. that good huh?
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm going to 4th the Duncan Distortion. I have in my JRS-2 and it kills everything else I have. Even my JB...
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Passively, I'd have to say Ultrasonic Humbuckers are my favorite, but they are hard to come by these days.
                        Availability and passive-wise, I'd go with the DiMarzio Tone Zone.

Duncan Custom Customs are also very killer.

Of course, you just can't beat an EMG 81 or 85.

Comment

DR, I played my buddies Hamer USA standard with a Custom 5 in it and they are awsome, they are exactly like described a PAF on stearoids!! I am going top put one in the bridge of my Hamer USA Special HB, the JB has great harmonics, but is a little too brittle for palm muting [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                          X