Further proof that Guitar Center sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further proof that Guitar Center sucks

I won't bore you with the story of me returning the used Vetta amp to Guitar Center yesterday. That's covered in the Amps and Effects section. You're welcome.

Yesterday, when I was awaiting a refund on an amp at Guitar Center, guess what was hanging on the wall behind the counter? A used 2003 PRS Limited Edition Dragon II. Guess what the price tag said? $25,000.00. That's not a typo. But this isn't about PRS or Guitar center pricing. It's the fact that they'll have a USED $25,000.00 PRS in stock, but they don't stock USA Jacksons. Why? "Because there's no demand for them around here." They also don't stock the Line 6 Vetta II. Why? "Because there's no demand for them around here."

Well, guess what? If you'll remember my threads about my seach for 1. USA Jacksons and 2. Line 6 Vetta II's, you'll remember me saying that it takes at least a 300-mile drive in any direction from here to find anything above entry-to-mid level equipment. That also includes Nashville. I was amazed that nobody in Nashville has a USA Jackson or a Vetta II, except one place with one Vetta II HD head.

My point? Jackson needs to put on the Gibson-style jackboots and swastica armbands and tell these dealers to either carry at least one decent Jackson or they can't be a Jackson dealer anymore. Period. Line 6 needs to do the same.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Well it could be that they sell the prs for a customer and he only gets paid if the guitar sells (of course minus a cut for gc). So they don't loose any money having such a high-value guitar hanging in the store and that's probably the reason the guitar is there in the first place.
    Normally stores don't have a problem with this. Having gear that they have to pay in advance before selling them makes them think way more before putting in stock. After all a guitar doesn't get any better hanging 2+ years in a store (actually it's the complete opposite having all those hacks scratching up the guitars while test playing (of course mostly without the intention of ever buying it, regardless how well it plays)).

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

I typically only walk into a GC two times a year.. Memorial Day and Labor Day. Everything else I can typically buy can be found online. I'll go into pawnshops more often than I will a GC.

Comment

Maybe someone who works at Guitar Center could shed some light on how they decide what inventory mix goes in stores, I would like to know.

There might be some regional factors, at the risk of offending a lot of people, can I ask if the Knoxville store stocks a lot of Teles?

Comment

Oh yes guitar center blows, and blows hard. Theres a guy when I'm there who is just the biggest smartass in the world. I've only been there 3 times, I don't intend to go back again. They treated me like complete shit, I couldn't dial on an amp without some jackass standing over me suggesting things (grabbing the knobs).

Its like umm, excuse me I'm tapping. I hate GC. All 3 times have been a downward spiral to delay a main event, cause I don't want to go ever again.

And yes, they had no Jackson USA here either! Damn shame.

Comment

Thats pretty funny that they carry that PRS. I agree its practically pointless to go to 98% of most shops especially GC when looking for quality guitars and such. All my shopping is done online. I just do as much research as possible.

I too couldnt find a Vetta II around to try out so I just went ahead and ordered one from Matts Music . It took abit of time cuz he didnt have one in stock either but it arrived upgraded to version 2.5 which was cool so I didnt have to go thru that hassle.

Comment

It used to be different. When I think about the stuff I passed on at my local GC...two really sweet Suhr Classics that they were practically giving away. Lots of great Andersons. A funky looking lime green GMP set neck that I really dug....oh well. Lately their used stuff has been the feces of the species.
              This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                There might be some regional factors, at the risk of offending a lot of people, can I ask if the Knoxville store stocks a lot of Teles?
                Since I'm not a big Fender fan, I couldn't tell you if they stock a lot of Tele's in specific, but they do indeed have a ton of Fenders and Squiers. I would be willing to bet that they have 25-30 Fenders at any given time.

And you're right; here in the Southeast, there's a tendency to go heavy on Fender, Gibson, and Peavey. I've even had people in music stores and pawn shops tell me that they can't sell Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, ESP, etc...

Comment

From what I recall, Guitar Center up here still does carry Jacksons. The Roseville store still has some bolt on and neck thru. As well as alot of Ibanez, some nice PRS, and your Epi's, etc.

Comment

No true musician shops at GC, you use GC to check stuff out and then buy online or from eBay used. Damn, new shit's expensive as it is, now you let them mark it up, sheesh!
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Aside from my experience getting my SL1 at Guitar Center in Manhattan, I rarely see high end Jacksons, and I do look regularly. Tons & tons of every flavor of Stratocaster you can imagine, as well as tons of Les Pauls, a few SG's. I see more Dimebag Razors than I see USA Jacksons.

I almost never see ESP except for the occassional LTD.

Vass

Comment

The $25K PRS is a gimmick - they're hoping to draw foot traffic into the store to gawk at it so they can high-pressure them into a sale fo some sort, or they hope some rock star on tour will stop in and buy it.

Then they buy another one for $4K, mark it up to $25K, and repeat the process.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          The $25K PRS is a gimmick - they're hoping to draw foot traffic into the store to gawk at it so they can high-pressure them into a sale fo some sort, or they hope some rock star on tour will stop in and buy it.

Hmmm.... Good call and you're probably right.

Comment

First, I'm a huge Fender fan....

But I remember - not so long ago - when Fender bought Jackson and about 2 weeks later it seemed they shut down alot of Jackson dealers in the NE.
                            Sam Ash in New Haven carried lots of high-end Jacksons and after the buyout there were none on the walls. I ran into the NE regional guy there and he told me Fender was crazy for doing it, but ever since there's been a vacum regarding high-end Jacksons in my neck of the woods.
                            Sure, I can go go see Bob Pieper in NH, or Matt's- but down in NY I remember the Music Zoo was worried about losing the line, East Coast Music stopped selling them too.

Gibson shut down ALOT of dealers during the last few years too. I don't get the marketing strategy.....
                            Strat God Music
                            http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

They do the same thing at a high end shop here called Solidbodyguitar. They have a 1960 Les Paul and walls full of Classic Marshalls, Gibsons and Fenders.. some are for sale.. most are not. The place ain't cheap. They have a great selection of Soldano and some nice Cornfords tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X