New SLSMG Trans Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SLSMG Trans Red

Hi i just bought an SLSMG Trans Red off of ebay and they told me the shipping from orlando to austin, tx was going to be $45. i didnt think much about it because i was in love with the guitar but is that too much? And i've also heard about oiling ebony fretboards or they might crack with time. Where might one purchase oil for ebony?

I'll get it between next tuesday and next friday and i'll try to post some pics but my camera is the biggest piece of crap so if i can get my friend to take pics with his nice camera i will definately post them.

thanks

Jake

$45 is high, I usually pay no more than $30 to ship a guitar, Rhoads/KV's obvously more. But $45 isnt THAT out of line if you got a good deal on it.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah, it's not too far out of line. If it arrives well-packed and safely, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Comment

Welcome on-board

There's lot's of good stuff by using the search engine.

Here's a good thread:

Also Sources for Stew Mac fretboard conditioner: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...shing_Oil.html

Works great!

While your at it, if you don't have this, pickup a copy:

This book is a must have for maintenance and repair
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks...i've actually had a membership thing here for like a year, but i've never really had anything productive to say until now...and it would've been against the rules to post things just for number sake...
          but thanks for the links...

Comment

Feel free to join in dude, the rules tend to scare off/catch out the appropriate people as I'm sure you've seen.

Awesome choice of guitar too! I love my faded wine red trans slsmg. Get some lemon oil or fretboard conditioner or other and it'll be fine. Regular maintenence will keep it shredding for a long long time, enjoy!

Comment

Awesome guitar, you are going to love it. I just got a trans black one a few weeks ago. To be honest, I've seen a lot of Japanese Jackson dogs at GC lately but these SLSMG's seem to be done really well.

As far as shipping, if it's listed in the auction there's nothing you can do about it. If not, eBay requires the seller to charge actual costs and that does seem a little high, $35 max would be my guess.

Comment

It finally came in today....this has probably been talked about a million times but i couldn't find it through the search...how do u post pics...i have some kinda crappy ones cuz i have a crappy camera but they're pics nonetheless...

ok i know squat about guitar electronics...and there is something clearly wrong with mine....it will kinda crackle in and out and make horrible fuzzy noises. and when the volume is all the way down i can still pluck the strings and hear it...and at 0 volume i can hear my pickup selector switch through my amp. Can anyone help me with this problem.?

and about the ebony oil thank you. How often should I oil it to prevent cracks?

Comment

Some may disagree, but if the electronics are not high quality type pots and switches, like CTS and Switchcraft, I'd take them out and put a set of CTS pots and a Switchcraft switch in there. I dislike the electronics supplied by Asian companies. Their contact surface areas are small.

For a quick fix, go to an electronic supply store, like Radio Shack and get a can of contact cleaner and lubricant. Spray it with the wand and rock the switch back an forth a few times. Spray some down the shaft of the pots and rotate them a few times. Check all you connections and make sure you have a good solid ground. Good Luck!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

this sounds really noobish but wich is the pot...and what am i supposed to spray??...
                    sorry like i said, i know nothing about electronics

Comment

liberally oil, then buff out, all you want to do is keep the board moist, pots, the volume and tone knobs. your pots are dirty. you don't seem know squat about guitars. you should really look into the books they are recommending to you. or at the very least, read a lot on-line. pots are usually self cleaning, but in a pinch, i have heard WD-40 works. but go easy.
                      Take off the knob and give it a squirt on the shaft, it should flow down to the inside of the pot.
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

read, that is how to post pics
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes. You will have to educate yourself on electronic guitar repair. Or, you can take the guitar to a repair center or luthier (guitar builder-repair expert) which will cost you much more than reading up on a topic that will have to be used on a regular basis.

Here's a link on the web to get you started:http://www.accessrock.com/Guitar_Tip...enance-tip.asp

Any of Dan Erlewine's or Craig Anderson's books are great Craig works on the electronics a little more including amps.

Comment

Working...
                          X