Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Years with the JCF and how things have changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Years with the JCF and how things have changed.

I figured since a few people were posting collections, I found it interesting how this place influences the aquisition of gear. So, I figured a before and after was due....

Before :: (Just forget the two guitars with no inlays [SL2H, and RR2 came after the board])

I also had a PODXT Pro and a P.O.S. PowerAMP to drive it.

2 Years Later ::

Top Row -
    Darksaga's "Simpsons" Soloist.
    Reb Beach Ibanez
    Hellraiser-7
    Charvel 475
    SL2H
    Darksaga's DK-1 Pile-O-Skulls. (I seem to be taking alot of gear of his hands...)

Laying Down -
    San Dimas Archtop SL-1
    Newc's JTX
    USA KV-2

The Soloists ::

Retired ::

I bought this about 12 years ago for 600.00 from Guitar Center for a graduation gift from college. No serial number, caused me to come here to find out what it was 2 years ago. All you people told me it was a 85 San Dimas Archtop soloist factory prototype. Cant make myself take it out of the house anymore. It is in great shape and I don't want to ding it anymore then it already is. So, it sleeps at home.

Even though I love my guitars, my pocketbook wants to take you out to the back 40 and fuck you up

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Aha

Well, Well!! I haven't seen that guitar (the blue archtop) in a lot of years. Here's the story on that one.

It's not a 'Prototype'. I bought the completed blank/core(ready for paint, holes drilled ) from Howie Hubberman at Guitars 'R Us on Sunset about 1987.

Howie was Poison's manager and also a partner in Guitars 'R Us at the time...he also was an 'investor' (i.e. silent partner) with Grover Jackson just before he sold out to IMC.

Howie told me it was a factory second (because of the knot near the upper horn) and he took it from the factory to complete on his own.

I saw it laying around in the shop and convinced him to sell it to me! Got it for $400 bucks and had Lee at GMW...at that time known as Garver, Moser, Wilkins... finish it for me.

Awesome guitar!
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Whoa, cool history on that one!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Excellent Nate!! Love the simpsons . Can I come by and take a look at it?? I promise I will not drool over it.
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
          Well, Well!! I haven't seen that guitar (the blue archtop) in a lot of years. Here's the story on that one.

It's not a 'Prototype'. I bought the completed blank/core(ready for paint, holes drilled ) from Howie Hubberman at Guitars 'R Us on Sunset about 1987.

Howie was Poison's manager and also a partner in Guitars 'R Us at the time...he also was an 'investor' (i.e. silent partner) with Grover Jackson just before he sold out to IMC.

Howie told me it was a factory second (because of the knot near the upper horn) and he took it from the factory to complete on his own.

I saw it laying around in the shop and convinced him to sell it to me! Got it for $400 bucks and had Lee at GMW...at that time known as Garver, Moser, Wilkins... finish it for me.

Awesome guitar!

Woh! thanks man ) That brings it full circle.

-Nate

Comment

white one

Hey, what model is that strange looking white one in the first pic? You know, the one with only one string

Comment

Yep

That archtop is a great guitar, it's one of 5 or 6 I really regret selling over the years....actually I traded it to Guitar Center for a Les Paul.

There is also a black student model (no binding, w/dot inlays, no serial) 2 hum Floyd, King V out there somewhere I got at the same time with the same story....another cool one.

Comment

That archtop is a great guitar, it's one of 5 or 6 I really regret selling over the years....actually I traded it to Guitar Center for a Les Paul.

There is also a black student model (no binding, w/dot inlays, no serial) 2 hum Floyd, King V out there somewhere I got at the same time with the same story....another cool one.
                Yeah, I actually had it worked on a little while ago when I had my carpal tunnel surgery. When it came back, it felt like a dream but, I will say something about it. It definately doesn't sound or feel like a standard soloist. Might just be because it is a Maple/Mahogany sandwhich.

BTW, thanks for closing the story on this. I gotta dig up the origional thread on it. It was really cool to see the conclusions and how people got to them.

Edit :: Found thread -- http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41454

-Nate
                Last edited by nateb; 05-05-2007, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Cool story to re-read. Did this bring anything:

"About a week ago, I got a email from one of the admins telling me that he sent off a email to the JC marketing guy to have him pass the thread off to Mike Shannon to ID this puppy. I am really excited to find out what this actually is. It was almost as exciting as finding the guitar in the first place."
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Well,isn't the SL2H actually a SL2?
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Here's the archtop when brand new....in what has to be THE WORST photo ever taken!

Taken on my shitty couch in my shitty apartment in San Dimas, circa 1987. Long before I learned how to properly use a camera.

The pickups were Jackson J80C & J50...got those from Howie too :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                        Cool story to re-read. Did this bring anything:

"About a week ago, I got a email from one of the admins telling me that he sent off a email to the JC marketing guy to have him pass the thread off to Mike Shannon to ID this puppy. I am really excited to find out what this actually is. It was almost as exciting as finding the guitar in the first place."

JC Marketing Guy never answered me... I sent two emails. =(

Comment

Here's the archtop when brand new....in what has to be THE WORST photo ever taken!

Taken on my shitty couch in my shitty apartment in San Dimas, circa 1987. Long before I learned how to properly use a camera.

The pickups were Jackson J80C & J50...got those from Howie too :-)
                          Man... thanks alot for posting that picture. It is amazing how things come back around. =) Kinda funny how the gold has somewhat faded over the years.

-Nate

Comment

Working...
                          X