Talk Me Out of This...Custom Shop Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
    I've never had a large collection, for me 4 guitars is considered large but I've been up to 9 a couple of months ago. Now I'm down to 6-7 I guess which will keep going down till 3. For me it's about loving the guitar more than owning it. I'm selling my 1000$+ guitars while I'm keeping my 200$ dinky which will be one of that 3. Just because I love it If you're going to replace the ones you sell with the ones you'll love more, then go for it..

I like to keep the stuff that I'll never think of selling. So if you're thinking of selling a couple of your guitars from your collection, I guess it's time for them to leave..

My 2 cents

You're selling the kelly?
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I am in the same boat. I have a beater guitar, I have my PC1 for playing out, my Custom Demon and a Robin Medley.

I have bought and sold about 10 in the past 10 years - Ibanez Jem, Hamer Californian, SL2, PRS, etc....

I have 3 more guitars to try and hopefully that will be it. A custom Suhr 24 fretter coming out next year, a USMasters guitar - I have a pic but they are not building them yet. - sometime this year - and maybe an Abel Axe - aluminum guitar. But the Able Axe is $3700 and I don't know if I want to spend the dough - although I could easily sell some stuff to get it.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Well Pat, I think your nuts to begin with

Seriously, do whatever the heck makes you happy. That's what I do. Some of my guitars are custom, others aren't. I've built a few mutts. All my guitars amuse me in one way or another. I don't care if they're personalized customs because they all reflect my personal preferences in some way. Also, with the Internet and all these great parts makers and such, I can customize a stock guitar to near perfection. My only sort of "rule" these days is not to have a bunch of the exact same thing.

Before you sell anything, put the guitars you're considering moving away for awhile. Go grab them in a month or so, if there ain't no magic, sell them. Never sell anything on a whim.

Also, I would like first dibs on anything you sell. I feel I deserve it after writing such a nice and thoughtful response like this.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Honestly, I'm somewhat dumbfounded by the positive responses. Given the level of GAS around this place, I really thought most folks would tell me I'm nuts for even thinking this kind of strategy. :ROTF: I'll think about it a while more, but am leaning towards that direction.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          Secondly, I'd say that now might not be the best time to order more CS guitars - the prices are already up there, and maybe things will calm down or 'adjust' back down somewhat in the coming months...
          A price drop? Now that would be a first. Never say never, I suppose. But highly doubtful, IMHO.

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
          Let's see if I can help with just two words.

SUB CAMO
          Good one.

I guess I'm not too worried about build quality on what I'm thinking about, as the options would require both to be Masterbuilt. And the premium for Masterbuilt guitars would absolutely ensure top notch quality for them, right Jackson/Charvel?

Originally posted by Norton View Post
          You're selling the kelly?
          Sorry, NFW. And folks, please chill out with the PM, email and post inquiries. Geesh. Freakin' vultures. j/k

Seriously, the ones in the mix to be moved would probably disappoint many folks. Hint: it won't be any of my current customs.

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          Before you sell anything, put the guitars you're considering moving away for awhile. Go grab them in a month or so, if there ain't no magic, sell them. Never sell anything on a whim.
          Good advice. Yeah, I've been comtemplating this for a while, so not acting on a whim. I guess it's not so much an issue of "no" magic with aany paarticular guitars, as it is "less" magic than the others and a desire to downsize.

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          Also, I would like first dibs on anything you sell. I feel I deserve it after writing such a nice and thoughtful response like this.
          Nice one.

Comment

If you've been thinking about it this long, I'd say go for it. It's obviously not a spur of the moment thing. I don't have any CS or real expensive guitars (God knows I'm rough on my equipment), but each is different and all of them have a story behind them. Also the fact that I probably wouldn't get much for any of them helps
            My gear
            87 Charvel Model 6
            86 Charvel Model 4
            93 Jackson RR EX
            93 Jackson Kelly STD
            88 Ibanez RG560
            99 Schecter Diamond C-7
            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

the only thing crazy you listed in your post Pat was potentially buying more CS guitars from JCMI at their insulting new prices.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Think about it this way, you're lucky to have such a dilemma.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Tommy, my friend, you are absolutely right. I count my blessings - guitars and the more important other ones (wife, kids, health, etc) - often, and am thankful for them all.

Comment

Working...
                  X