Warning: Undefined array key 14151 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 14151 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 14151 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 14151 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 74 Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in .../cache/template/template20798.php on line 79 Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Jake E. Lee tonewood - JCFonline.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake E. Lee tonewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake E. Lee tonewood

I'm building a hardtail strat and am going back and forth between
    Swamp Ash, Alder and Mahogany for the body. I'm going to be using a H-H or an H-S-H pickup configuration.

Do you guys have a favorite?

Jake E. Lee is probably my favorite guitarist and I was wondering were his strats Swamp Ash or Alder? What would he have chosen?

Will swamp ash not have enough low end and be too ice-pickey? Will Mahogany be too muddy? Alder too plain? or just right? What would ol Jake choose do you think?

Thanks for all replies.

hmm. well he has had guitars made of all of those woods so...

if it were me i would go for mahogany but that is what i like the most out of those...

Comment

id say mahogany only because i saw Jake playing a Gibson Melody Maker in the Bark at the Moon music vid
      My Guitars
      Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
      Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
      Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
      Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
      Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
      Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
      Kramer Vanguard S-440S
      Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
      Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
      Kramer F-1000 (Black)
      Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

here is my Jake tribute. I know, I know, it needs a black pickguard. This guitar is swamp ash. Very cool. Really light, excellent sustain and sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
          here is my Jake tribute. I know, I know, it needs a black pickguard. This guitar is swamp ash. Very cool. Really light, excellent sustain and sounds great.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~wj15/cur...tail%20001.jpg
          But your pickups aren't crooked and you've got a hummer in the neck!
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Here is Jake: If you look close you can make out the N.O.S looking bridge (no hole for bar though),also the neck has "bullet truss rod", kinda weird.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZBvb0raso
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Whitey

Do you know what kind of wood his white strat was made out of? Did Jake like Swamp Ash better than Alder?

Comment

I'm not sure about his guitars but my personal favorite is Mahogany. I like the warmth that it produces.

Comment

IIRC, I read an interview of him in Guitar World where someone asked him why he switched from Charvel to ESP. His response was that the last Charvels that were made for him weren't made of swamp ash, which he specified he wanted.

Comment

The esp models he uses are swamp ash I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                      Here is Jake: If you look close you can make out the N.O.S looking bridge (no hole for bar though),also the neck has "bullet truss rod", kinda weird.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZBvb0raso
                      The white guitar has a bullet truss rod because it's a Fender. He had a friend working at Charvel who did a little work on it and added a Charvel logo.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I remember Jake being a swamp ash guy as well...

Only you will be able to tell if swamp ash is too Ice-pickey. It's a good tone wood. Not my favorite but it can be bright. Alder is a good in between wood. Mahogany is my favorite by far. With the right pickups it's never muddy and it's warmth is unbeatable. But that's to my ears...
                        Last edited by Bengal; 05-11-2007, 03:08 PM.
                        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I can't remember if the production ESP signature models had alder or swamp ash. I've gotta see if I can find my old ESP catalog from like '95 with it in there. I know frets 1 through 12 were jumbo and frets 13 through 22 were medium, as per Jake's preference.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Jake liked Swamp Ash, but I like Alder and Mahogany in the SG Junior.

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Swamp Ash kicks ass. Ice-picky is the last way I'd describe it. Maybe hard Northern Ash would be too bright & shrill, but Swamp Ash is smooth & balanced to my ears.

Comment

Working...
                              X