No announcement yet.

questions about the Jackson JT580LP Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The jt580lp is fine just like most floyd copies out there. It's all in proper setup and maintenance.

Comment

damn techs, they have a corner on the market. we'll drive'em outta town if we have too!!!!!!!
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Anti-fan of the 580LP here. It's just a generic Lo-Pro Floyd copy made from poor materials and to poor tolerances. The angle in the saddles makes it all but useless for adding nuances to your palm muting, and the knife edges will go bye-bye at one point or another. Only the Pro-series has the upgraded 580LP with the hardened baseplate. The others have the same piece o' shit like before.

Edit: Just thought I'd add that I've had two Schallers. One was a Schaller-branded one, that I bought NOS and put in my RR-X. Never had any problems with it, unlike the 580LP that it replaced. The other is the Jackson-branded JT-590 in my 750XL. In that one, many of the blocks are stuck in the saddles. It still works - it's just that many of the blocks are impossible to get out of there. Overall, my verdict is that the Schaller/JT-590 is a way superior trem compared to the 580LP.
        Last edited by Sunbane; 06-09-2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Inazone. If you are haveing problem with the little blocks than you are tightening them to hard . You need very little presure to lock the string in. I know when I got my first Floyd in 83 I to cracked the block and also saddle.

Comment

After a couple months the knife edges will go, and you won't return to pitch very well. (this is when you'd buy an OFR )
            However, if you think you'll be playing for a while, I'd check out some guitar that come with OFRs, usully everything else on them is great too. They will be a bit more expensive, but you'll thank yourself in a few years, when you're happy with what you bought.
            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

the JT580 LP on Pro series (and MG?) have all seemed solid to me. I think the JT580LPs on the X series though look and feel rather cheap, but no more so then an Ibanez Edge III. In other words, if you take care of it will fine, but I wouldn't expect it to last 5 years of heavy playing.

Comment

my JT580LP bridge is starting to show rust!

my JT580LP bridge is starting to show rust!

Hi there guys... today I noticed, that after 5 years of normal use (the last 2 1/2 years playing on a bar band), the tremolo saddles are starting to show rust... What can I do to fix/stop that?
                Is it easy finding new saddles and string blocks? Which one would fit? Do you have links?
                I thought it would last longer, my washburn mercury tremolo (which is also a licensed by Floyd Rose one) is in better shape than my Jackson's...

So do you have info on replacement saddles?

Thanks!

Comment

WD-40 and a toothbrush will clean it up.
                  Prevention is simple... WIPE DOWN THE GUITAR BEFORE YOU PUT IT AWAY!
                  -Rick

Comment

it might be too late for that... the metal now looks old and al stripped and with tiny holes... like if I had rubbed it with a metal sponge...
                    Maybe I should replace the saddles? Do you know any saddles that will fit? Or do the JT580LP saddles are standard measure, OFR-sized saddles?

Comment

The 580LP saddles are different than OFR saddles.
                      For one, the 580LP is a low profile trem and the OFR is not.

Allparts sells replacement LP saddles, but they are $19 each.
                      That's almost $120 to replace the saddles.

You could buy an OFR for a few bucks more and just replace the whole trem.
                      -Rick

Comment

Necropost but relevant to my interests. I'm having issues on a Rhoads EX with worn knife edges, and I'm wondering what I can purchase that will be a direct swap with no routing as it seems just fixing the knife edges is not really an option.

Comment

I have a RR3, which has been my main guitar for almost 6-7 years (it is now my back-up guitar, since I got the RR24) and
                          it still stays in tune perfectly no matter how much I abuse the floys (and it gets abused a lot during a set!)
                          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Genesyn View Post
                            Necropost but relevant to my interests. I'm having issues on a Rhoads EX with worn knife edges, and I'm wondering what I can purchase that will be a direct swap with no routing as it seems just fixing the knife edges is not really an option.
                            You should be able to direct swap with a JT590. Of course you'll need to set up your guitar again... bridge height, intonation, etc...
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Dude, please do yourself a favor and do NOT buy an ibby with an edge III or a lo-pro. The edge III IS actually a good bridge IMHO but the material is SO fuckin cheap it will wear out in a matter of months. Get something with an EDGE..or maybe EDGE PRO (theres a few that are really good)....I have an edge that is over 20 years old and it still awesome. No tunning issues. Its still stable and I beat the PISS out it on the road.....

Having said all of that I just bought a JS100 with a low-pro....awww nuts. WTF?
                              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

From the Ibanez camp: lo trs II suck! They're cheap and have a myriad of problems. Have only owned 3 of the Jackson lp style trems (whatever was on the Kelly Std Pro, and RR Std. Pro in early to mid 90's.) and yeah, the knife edges went in a hurry. Replaced the stock Jackson lp trem with an OFR on my last Kelly Std. Pro and that ax NEVER went outta tune and the trem played like buttah! Get yourself an OFR.

Comment

Working...
                                X