Rhoads Forensic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads Forensic!

I suddenly bought an USA RR1 1997 Metallic Black the other day and having a Rhoads PRO 1993 already, i discovered some differences between them. Yeah, i was bored today (JCF is down) and thought i'd make a physical comparison. So, here you are:

STRAP BUTTON REAR.
    First thing i noticed with the USA was it's neck heavy. I have always praised my PRO for perfect balance, so the poor balance of the USA really surprised me. Well, here's the reason. USA top, PRO bottom. Why is the strap button in the wrong place on the USA? Beats me...

In all the following pics the USA is to the left. PRO to the right.

NECK GAP
    Big gap between neck pickup and 22nd fret on the USA. Narrow on the PRO. Hmmm...

FRET-ENDS
    Fret ends on the USA is rounded and nice. The PROs are very sharp. Notice the differences in the ebony fretboard also. Very dense and dark on the USA - nice on the PRO also but a bit more grained.

BINDINGS
    The bindings are narrow and white on the USA. The PROs are thicker and more yellow. The binding work on the PRO is overall better workmanship. It is more precise and homogeneous.

1st FRET
    Distance from edge of nut to center of first metal fret is different on the two guitars! USA:36.5mm PRO:36.0mm All i can say about this is that to my ear, the USA has a different (and better) intonation than the PRO, and that could come from this difference. I have set them up the same way regarding intonation, string manufactor, string gauge, everything.
    The width of the neck and distance from E-E string is also different. Not much, but the USA is close to 1mm wider than the PRO all the way up the neck.

HEADSTOCK
    Hard to see in the picture but the USA headstock is larger than the PROs. In some places up to 6mm. More wood around the tuning pegs on the USA.
    The Jackson logo is different as well. The letter "J" is somewhat left alone on the USA and the letters are fatter than the PROs.

SOUND
    Well, they have different pickups and electronics installed so this is a N/A. The amplified sound is very different, mostly due to the active electronics in the PRO i would think.

PLAYABILITY.
    When i get my PRO properly adjusted i will tell you. First hand impression of the USA: it's awesome! No fret buzz anywhere, no dead spots, no ringing, big tone. Neck feels much like the PRO. I am in love! But i need to loose that TB4L (JB) in the bridge - and maybe also that Jazz in the neck pos.

[ April 13, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: jackson1 ]
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Rhoads Forensic!

Interesting stuff. Wouldn’t moving the strap button on the USA to the location of the Pro, make it even more top heavy. Maybe it’s the wood. Just something to consider. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Gotta love those gorgeous fret ends on your Rhoads Pro... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

This might be a dumb question...
        What is the actual difference's on these guitars?
        Except for one being usa made and the other being an import and the little things you pointed out, I really can't tell a difference between the two.

[ April 13, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

Interesting!
          Nice detailed pics! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Check the first pic - it looks like the USA's body is larger. See how the long wing tips are almost even in the two pics, but the center of the body points are WAY off.

As for balance, it may not be the rear pin, it might be the front one.

Have you ever seen the front strap pin on the JCF01 Rhoads? It's behind the neck pickup! I tried it with a regular Ernie Ball nylon strap, and it's a diver, so I put a wide leather strap on it.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It is actually quite interesting that almost every workmanship detail in the PRO is better looking. Bindings are more even and precise, fret ends sure looks nice and even (but they are sharp, haven't cut myself yet though), logo is more detailed and kerning is better, transition where the wings are glued to the neck-thru are more invisible, all countersinked screws and holes are made correctly and identical - no heads sticking up like on the USA, no paint mess in the cavities - the USA is full of it.

John, as for major differences in these two guitars:
              USA has Seymour Duncan TB4L pickup in the bridge and JNL in the neck. Passive electronics.
              PRO has Jackson logoed JH-3 in the bridge and J-50N in the neck. Active electronics.
              USA has got OFR tremolo. PRO has got Jackson logoed Schaller JT590 tremolo.
              That's it!

Newc and Dave, the body has the same measures. It's my poor alignment in the pics that makes the upper wings look different. As for the correct placement of the strap button i have to investigate. I have a Fernandes Rhoads as well with perfect balance and its strap button is in the same place as the PRO, look:

NOTP, yeah but they should be rounded before leaving the factory.

Thanks RacerX!
              Henrik

Comment

Hey Jackson1, cool looking Fernandes. Are they decent? How does it stack up compared to the RR and Pro?
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Are the USA's really THAT unballanced, or was that comment just for comparison's sake and it's really not that bad?

Comment

Stuka, my Fernandes is really very nice. I bought back in 1988-89 from Ken Hammer from the old danish metal band Pretty Maids. Guess you don't know what i'm talking about [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It could be a custom piece for Ken Hammer. I haven't seen many of this kind and don't know much about the model. It has been in a metal video shown on Headbangers Ball!!

After i put on a good OFR recently it has won my heart. The stock trem it was born with was crapola. It has got a fairly fat neck with tiny frets compared to its Jackson cousins. To me that makes it a bit harder to play and that's why it will never be my main guitar. Did the earlier Jackson Rhoads have fatter neck and small frets? Beautiful rosewood board and it intonates perfectly and it has got a good fresh, sparkly resonance when played with no amp. It's a good guitar and it has got one big asset: its bridge pickup! This is the best pickup i have ever had. Not a high output type so it can't do death metal, but it does 1980ies metal perfectly! Its un-labelled and i don't have a clue what it is. Oh here i go again - long post!
                    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Henrik

Comment

eet_fuk_81, no, it'a a minor problem. No BIG deal. Sorry if it came out sounding like a big problem. It could probably be corrected by using a wider leather strap just like Newc suggests. It's just strange that there is a difference at all.
                      Henrik

Comment

Oh wow, thanks! This helps out a lot when picking out guitars [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm more set on buying a Pro now than i am on buying a USA. I can always swap out the pickups lol.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hey, I realised you forgot a strong point of comparison...The Price [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Pretty Maids huh? I remember them. "Future World"!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

An american knows about Pretty Maids??!! WTF!!?

That exact Fernandes is IN THAT VIDEO!

There's also a Jackson Soloist in that video as i remember. Kewl!
                              Henrik

Comment

Working...
                              X