Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about RRs

Hi!

I'm planning to buy my first Jackson next month and need a little bit info from the experts here in the JC forum.

I've decided that I want an RR shaped guitar so my choice will be either RR1 or RR Pro depending what I can find used. Since I live in Finland it's almost impossible to find them in the stores so it's pretty hard to try one out before buying. On the other hand RR24 is available for testing so I'm wondering how would that be compared to RR1 or RR Pro?

I mean, I'm not going to buy one, but can I get a trend-setting picture of how will the RR1 or Pro feel by trying a RR24 out? I'm worried about the neck weight of RRs so if I'll find RR24 too unbalanced for me, can I assume that the RR1 will be too? How do the compare?

Thanks in advance!

The RR24 is part of the Pro line. It would be similar in feel to an RR5.
    An RR1 is a different beast all together.
    Balance has been pretty good on just about every RR I have ever picked up.
    My old lead guitarist had an RR1, an RR5 and an older RR Rhoads Professional.
    His RR1 was a bit beefier in the neck, but not by much.
    Tha balance was good though. No nose dives.
    -Rick

Comment

If you've never played a RR before, then you will atleast get a feeling how a RR feels when playing. Totally different then strat shaped guitars imo.

Comment

RR1, RR24 and RR5 are neck-thru and not too much neck-diving.
        RR1 is well-balanced.
        You might get a wrong opinion if you test a bolty RR3.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
          If you've never played a RR before, then you will atleast get a feeling how a RR feels when playing. Totally different then strat shaped guitars imo.
          Yes it`s true...
          Try it out...
          If you try a RR24 you will get a pretty close feel to an RR1 in my
          opinion...
          Cause the specs are almost the same
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by The Mitch View Post
            RR1, RR24 and RR5 are neck-thru and not too much neck-diving.
            RR1 is well-balanced.
            You might get a wrong opinion if you test a bolty RR3.
            Yep, I've decided not to play any bolt-on RRs before trying the real thing. But since RR24 is neck-through and is made from Alder it might feel like a RR1 when standing. I understand that the neck will probably be different in RR24 but that's not the point. I'm curious to know where an RR shaped guitar will settle and in what position my arms will be when standing.

Thanks for the answers so far! I think I'll try a RR24 out when I get the chance.

EDIT: And by the way, I've never owned a strat shaped guitar! I'm having a hard time playing stuff I'm usually playing in a "normal" guitar, since the gap between the strings and the edge of the body is so big. Kinda wierd. My current guitar is a ESP-Ltd EX series if you're intrested :P.
            Last edited by OzoMan; 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM. Reason: Little add-ons.

Comment

I have both a RR1 and a RR24.

In terms of how they "hang on the body", they are quite similar, though slightly different. But similar enough that you'll get a pretty good idea whether the RR shape is for you or not.

In terms of how they feel when you are playing them, the RR1 "feels" much better under the fingers, though the RR24 is a very nice guitar in its own right.

Comment

Well, I did find a RR24, but also a KV-2 ! I played it for about an hour and I gotta say... I fell in love. The speedneck felt amazing and the balance was perfect! I didn't buy it though, the price was 2700 euros ( 3700 $ ) :O. I hate to live in Finland at these moments.

But yeah, now I can't decide between RR1 and KV2 ( or 1 ) .

Comment

2700€ is a bit overpriced.
                  What finish was that?

Comment

It is overpriced...you can get them new for around 2000€ in EU, especially ones with solid colors.

Comment

I think it was metallic black. Not sure though, since I haven't seen one in person before. And yeah, it was overpriced.

I was also suprised that even though the action wasn't super low ( but still good for me ) the upper strings were practically unplayable in the 1st notes because of the buzzing. I quess they haven't checked the setup for a while.

Comment

Ok, with that particular finish it is way too expensive.
                        And that low action-thing is a result of poor setup

Comment

I have an RR1 and it balances almost perfectly. The neck is also a bit beefier than the RR5 that I have tried in the past. I'd say give the RR24 a try and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by DC_rhoads82 View Post
                            I have an RR1 and it balances almost perfectly. The neck is also a bit beefier than the RR5 that I have tried in the past. I'd say give the RR24 a try and see what you think.
                            The USA KV was perfect to play when standing so I hope and assume that the RR1 is too. Now I'm having a hard time deciding which one is better:
                            24 frets + speedneck or 22 frets + little-bit-thicker neck. The shapes are almost similiar so I think I will happy with either one. Still, I'm kinda leaning to KV right now . They tend to be a little bit more expensive though..

Comment

Personally, if you prefer the speed neck, go with RR24, its a great guitar, I have one, it has a thin fast neck compared to an RR1, The RR24 is cheaper and is great, I have had zero problems with it. Though if USA made it must be, then KV2, easily. Or even better, KE2, Kelly. I dont see why an RR1 has to be 22 frets. 24 frets makes a huge difference to me.
                              www.myspace.com/memnochband
                              www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Working...
                              X