Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there things I should look for when buying an older used J/C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there things I should look for when buying an older used J/C?

i would love to buy an older J/C to have refinished. i know that cracked neck pockets can be a problem. are there any other things to look for besides that. also, if i was to buy off ebay how can you be sure that it is actually a whole J/C and not some parts guitar?

another quick question? do you think i should only look for san dimas j/c for a refinishing project?
    Last edited by MattyCakes; 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM.

I would look for NOT SD guitars as people seem to think refinishing makes it less valuable

Comment

i hear that but do you think that makes any sense?

Comment

None of my SD Jacksons have a cracked neck pocket.Please do some research first.If you refin a SD Jackson you need to be hung by your nuts.Even a SD plated Ontario Jackson leave alone all were one off customs and they are limited in numbers.
        If you are dead set on doing a refin buy an 80 Charvel model series guitar and go to town they are just as good a player as a USA Jackson.
        If you find an SD Jackson thats in need of repair by all means refin it and get it up and playing again.
        Cracked neck pockets are not a big deal as they are usualy a clear coat finsh stress crack and not in the wood.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyCakes View Post
          i hear that but do you think that makes any sense?
          I personally don't think it makes any sense. How can a beat up guitar be worth more than a pristine one? Somehow I doubt the old paint sounds better than new paint...

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            I personally don't think it makes any sense. How can a beat up guitar be worth more than a pristine one? Somehow I doubt the old paint sounds better than new paint...
            Its simply a matter of originality. Even if it was refinned by the factory to original color it would still be worth less than if it were left original and beat up.
            Gil

Comment

Refins tend to effect Fender and Gibson values most... but I dont think that it will matter much with Jackson or Charvels unless of course you did a refin on a old school demartini or something with custom graphics, There are also some colors that are rare and I would'nt refin those either, but a standard white or black etc... why not!
              Last edited by Shibs; 07-18-2007, 11:47 PM.
              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibs View Post
                Refins tend to effect Fender and Gibson values most... but I dont think that it will matter much with Jackson or Charvels unless of course you did a refin on a old school demartini or something with custom graphics, There are also some colors that are rare and I would'nt refin those either, but a standard white or black etc... why not! I have two vintage Jacksons that I am getting rid of soon, may see them on eBay soon if I don't get an offer before then!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=bluefull.jpg
                You're treading on VERY thin ice, buddy. Just giving you a heads up....

----

I think you look for a model series or possibly an 80's ontario Dinky for your refinishing project. Those'll make great players and you won't lose any value on 'em by refinishing.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                  Its simply a matter of originality. Even if it was refinned by the factory to original color it would still be worth less than if it were left original and beat up.
                  Gil
                  I understand that is the case but I ask WHY is that the case. Restored old cars are worth more than beat up original ones - why are guitars any different?

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                    You're treading on VERY thin ice, buddy. Just giving you a heads up....

----

I think you look for a model series or possibly an 80's ontario Dinky for your refinishing project. Those'll make great players and you won't lose any value on 'em by refinishing.
                    are there dramatic differences in the woods and play quality. im a big believer of the woods giving the guitar the sound, not so much the pickups

Comment

I understand that is the case but I ask WHY is that the case. Restored old cars are worth more than beat up original ones - why are guitars any different?
                      +1,000,000!! If I were gay I'd give you a kiss for that statement....hell I may anyway!
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Well my 65 Fender mustang(new to me as of yesterday) was refinished lots of years ago and is worth between $600- $800 as it is.If I spend $350 to refin back to the original Dakota red color and age it respectivly It may bring another $200.00 so a refin is not in the cards.I have it sold Sat.
                        A refin on a Fender or Gibson if done correctly CAN increase its value in some cases.

Comment

True. I wonder if there's people out there sweating when they remove the ORIGINAL strings from a guitar.
                          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Yes there is. I have one guy that counts the turns on each screw he turns.He only buys Fender strings even only uses Fender polish and buffing towels.This dude is so anal he counts the number of times I turn the tuners when we put new strings on it.
                            I hate dealing with his pettiness and dumbass questions sometimes but he pays cash.
                            Last edited by straycat; 07-19-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I hate dealing with his pettiness and dumbass questions sometimes but he pays cash.
                              And thats all that counts.

Comment

Working...
                              X