Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the conclusion that model series neck = way too wide for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've come to the conclusion that model series neck = way too wide for me.

I'm only 5'8 and I have small hands... I have a model 4 and 1 which I love, but today I was playing a friend's 6 and the neck was just too wide. Maybe I wasn't used to it as to my own but I definitely wasn't feeling good with it. Too flat, too wide... not for me.

Do most Jacksons have the same nut width/taper (I believe 43mm?)? Or do some come with a way smaller nudwidth?

Thanks if you can help! Mostly curiosity for me of course.

Just one word of caution before making judgements. The necks on the model series do vary. For instance, my '86 Model 5 is a lot smaller than say my '88 Model 6.

Personally, I love the wide flat necks. More sustain, more room. Yeah it can take a while to adjust but that's all part of the game of learning.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Are you talking about fretboard width, or backshape thickness?
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Fretboard width. As far as thickness goes, I do prefer something a bit more meaty. I'm not any slower on a 50s LP shape than on a model series. Just more meat is more comfy for me I guess.

Comment

I believe Jacksons and Charvels all have the 1 & 11/16" nut width (save for the odd 1 & 5/8" or 1 & 3/4" back in the day), but the fingerboard is just wide compared to a Les Paul with the same nut width. I think the only current Charvel with the smaller 1 & 5/8" nut is the EVH series.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My MIJ Charvel Standard from a few years ago has a 1 & 5/8 nut. I love that neck.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

You should also check the Jackson Stars: www.jacksonstars.com

They all come with 1 5/8 inch nuts from the factory .

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I believe Jacksons and Charvels all have the 1 & 11/16" nut width (save for the odd 1 & 5/8" or 1 & 3/4" back in the day), but the fingerboard is just wide compared to a Les Paul with the same nut width. I think the only current Charvel with the smaller 1 & 5/8" nut is the EVH series.
                Yep I just measured my Predator and it's 1 11/16" at the nut, 2 3/16" at the 22nd fret.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  thats too bad, i was kind of hoping there were more with 1&5/8" (R2) since thats my favorite string spacing. Which Charvels/Jacksons back in the day had R2 sizes?
                  My Guitars
                  Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
                  Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
                  Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
                  Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
                  Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
                  Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
                  Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                  Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
                  Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
                  Kramer F-1000 (Black)
                  Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

I think mostly the San Dimas had the larger 1 & 3/4" or the smaller 1 & 5/8", but anything could be ordered back then as it was Custom. I'm sure someone else could give more info and better details.

Comment

I just measured my JSX 94. It has a 1 5'8 nut . Very thin neck. I'm not sure you can have the best of both worlds.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
                        My MIJ Charvel Standard from a few years ago has a 1 & 5/8 nut. I love that neck.
                        Originally posted by fett View Post
                        I just measured my JSX 94. It has a 1 5'8 nut . Very thin neck. I'm not sure you can have the best of both worlds.
                        That's interesting. I didn't realize they used that width for either series.

Comment

I checked again. And it's 1 5/8. Remember that a tape measure has a liitle play in the hook. I took that into consideration and played with it. Bottom line to me, it's 1 5/8.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

My Model 88 has a R2 sized neck. It has an R2 nut on it now to suit as well. That is my preferred nut size as well.

Comment

Fett, you were off by 1/16 of an inch, that's the difference between a 1 5/8 in. vs. a 1 11/16 in. The Model 4 and Model 6 have the same nut width. Virtually all Jacksons share that 1 11/16 inch width. Some of the exceptions were noted above. Also, many of the made for Japan Grover Jacksons were the smaller 1 5/8 inch width.
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X