Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the conclusion that model series neck = way too wide for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure my Spectrum has an R2 nut as well.

Comment

Both my old SD s-heads are 1 3/4, but I have played plenty that were 1 5/8 as well as 1 11/16 - as was stated - CS = no standard, really depended on what people ordered. My SD pointy is 1 11/16 - these seem to be more standardized, but there are exceptions of course. My old Jackson Vs are also 1 11/16.
      Last edited by RR05xx; 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

my model 3's have the 1 11/16ths nut, with the string spacing of an R4 floyd nut.

note:
        R3 nut and R4 nut are the same width but the R3 nut has the string spacing of an R2 nut which for a 1 5/8ths nut

R3=thin
        R4=wide
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          Also, many of the made for Japan Grover Jacksons were the smaller 1 5/8 inch width.
          Which ones? I'd like to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
            my model 3's have the 1 11/16ths nut, with the string spacing of an R4 floyd nut.

note:
            R3 nut and R4 nut are the same width but the R3 nut has the string spacing of an R2 nut which for a 1 5/8ths nut

R3=thin
            R4=wide
            I believe the R4 is supposed to be used on necks with binding, the R3 for necks without binding.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I believe the R4 is supposed to be used on necks with binding, the R3 for necks without binding.
              Sounds believable. The binding pretty much takes away from the width a bit, makes for the perfect compromise for me. I definitly like them wider though. Most Fender necks are impossible for me to play: my chords get jumbled and I get string noise all over the place, while a wider neck feels smooth and comfortable to me. Must be the classical guitar syndrome...
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                That is my preferred nut size as well.
                So many thoughts are running through my head right now...

Comment

My Jackson SL4 had a 1-5/8" nut. My Charvel SD1 has a 1-5/8" nut, too. I think that all of the other Jacksons and Charvels I have had have had 1-11/16" nut widths.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Just the opposite... the R3 has narrow string spacing while the R4 has a wider string spacing so the R3 is used on guitars with binding. I prefer the R3 myself whether the guitar has binding or not.

Comment

Ah, that makes more sense.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                        Which ones? I'd like to know...
                        The neck through King V has the R2 nut stock. Some of the Soloists, Firebirds, and Rhoads do as well. These are all early 90's models with Grover Jackson on the headstock.
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                          The neck through King V has the R2 nut stock. Some of the Soloists, Firebirds, and Rhoads do as well. These are all early 90's models with Grover Jackson on the headstock.
                          I'm eyeing Rhoads Custom and Spitz Professional....do you know about them? They're both top of the line instruments...there was a Rhoads Custom on eBay once and seller claimed it has a 1 11/16" inch nut.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know about the Rhoads or Spitz GJ's. I would bet they are R2 nuts, but really can't say with any certainty.
                            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                            Gotta get away from here.
                            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
                              My MIJ Charvel Standard from a few years ago has a 1 & 5/8 nut. I love that neck.

Same here. The fretboard feels night and day different from my '87 Model 1C.

Comment

Thanks guys... Well it seems I can just give up on Jacksons or Charvel model series... It just wouldn't work for me. I'll never sell my model 4 though.

Comment

Working...
                                X