Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Rhyme or Reason to RR Model Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Rhyme or Reason to RR Model Numbers?

OK, lets see:

You've got the RR1 which is the top of the line model, which makes sense...

You've then got the RR5 which is the best import you can get...

Followed by the RR3, which is a bolt-on more economical Rhoads...

I think there used to be an RR2, which isn't available any more, but looked lower-end than the RR3 (I could be wrong)...

Was there an RR4 in there somewhere as well...?

There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to the model numbers, and I'm not even counting the RX10D.

I am relatively new to the world of Jacksons (bought my first one 6 months ago, but I am hooked...), so pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain the model numbering system to me?

Thanks,

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: Any Rhyme or Reason to RR Model Numbers?

The RR2 was a USA with no inlays and bolt on ( I think - I know it was a USA)
    RR4 was a neckthrough import which seems to have been replaced by the RR5, though I'm not familiar with the differences between the 4 and 5 (4=Floyd?)

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I can see a pattern. RR1, RR2, RR3, RR4, RR5.

Comment

I think the 2 and 4 had rear routed electronics, now that I think about it more.
        I went through the Gallery but there are none in there.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Jackson has always got my vote for "Most Confusing Model Naming Scheme Award".

Those ??1, ??2, ??3 etc. model numbers have changed a ridiculous number of times over the years.

First it's just a USA ??1, and it's the top line USA. Then, the ??1 becomes a Sig series, and the ??2 of that model becomes mostly what the ??1 used to be.

Then, they get an idea to make a top line guitar that's slightly different than the top line ??1 model, and shove it in there somewhere, sometimes replacing some other ??# model for a while.

Then, that Sig player leaves Jackson, and that model's ??1 just disappears into nowhere, and ??2 is the top line model.

And of course, then, there's the PCS guitars, some of which aren't EXTREMELY different than rather standard looking options variations of their regular top line model, anyway, and certainly could be Custom guitars, regardless.

It's got to be the most confusing thing to try to keep up with, especially when you're trying to figure out what an older, used Jackson actually was in its catalog year. To me, the only way to try to make much sense of it all is to get the serial # and cross reference an old catalog of that year. But I really wish they would come up with a better way designate these different iterations of the models.

Comment

It gets worse. Some of the "T" models (RR1T, KE2T, etc) have a Tuneomatic bridge, while others have a Tremolo.
            WTF does "T" stand for if it's not consistent?!?!

Newc

Comment

I can see a pattern. RR1, RR2, RR3, RR4, RR5.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aaron - ummm... I figured that much out. The point I was making is that sequentially from RR1 to RR5 is not most expensive to least expensive - it seems to jump around a lot.

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Best thing to do:

Buy'em all and compare [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] , then, dump the ones you dislike!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(I wish i have that kind of money!) [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I just think of 'T' to mean 'different bridge than normal" lol [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Some of those model numbers were produced at different years (for example the RR2 & RR3). I think the RR2 was produced in the early '90s, while the import RR3 was/is produced late '90s-present. Also keep in mind that the RR2 was a USA model not an import. So I would imagine so as not to confuse buyers/collectors they chose not to name the import the RR2.
                    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

3s are Japanese bolt-ons.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                      X