Hello, new to Jacksons/Charvels, need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, new to Jacksons/Charvels, need some help

Hey guys new to the forums here, and I'm rather uneducated when it comes to Jacksons and Charvels. I've been an Ibanez guy for a while (RG5xx, RG7xx series), but I'm currently in the market for another "virtuoso/shred" guitar. I'm more interested in the older Charvels and Jacksons though.

Specifically, I'm looking for a superstrat guitar with a rosewood board (22 or 24 frets) with a Floyd Rose. My budget is about $1200.

I'm really into guys like Shawn Lane and Allan Holdsworth, yet at the same time bands like Whitesnake and Ratt.

Anyways, can someone give me a run down on the older Charvels and Jacksons (as in, what are the budget models, what are the high end models, which models are equivalent to RG550's or RG770's, etc)?

Thanks,
    Wade

Welcome to the JCF! It depends on the condition and exact specs you want (neck thru etc), but to give you an idea, for that sort of money, you could get:

- A used USA Jackson (probably a bolt-on), either an older one or a more recent model.
    - Possibly an original San Dimas made Charvel pointy, but Floyd'd examples are more desireable, so the prices are higher than for the Kahlered versions.
    - A recent 'San Dimas' series Charvel pointy.
    - 'San Dimas Re-issue' series from the mid-90s (faux strathead, dinky bodies, recessed trem)

USA Charvels have the guitar shaped logo with a 3+3 headstock. USA Jacksons have 'Made in USA' near the logo in 99.9% of cases...

The list above concentrates on the higher end models, simply because there's lots of import ranges to list (though it's worth noting the early Pro Series Jacksons (inc Soloist, Dinky and PC Archtop (all with Floyds) and the spaghetti logo Charvels).

I guess the logical equivilent to the RGs would be a Model series Charvel (made in Japan, guitar shaped logo with a pointy head). These came with the Jackson JT6 trem and the bolt-ons have the 'Fort Worth' address on the neck-plate. These guitars are very highly regarded.
    Last edited by neilli; 08-12-2007, 12:32 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks for the info! What are the thougghts on the Charvel Fusion and 750XL guitars? I know Shawn Lane used to play a 750XL alot.

Comment

Those are both made in Japan guitars. I had a Fusion which was good if not inspiring (a little dull and the pickups weren't great) but I've not played a 750XL as far as I can remember. They're both well regarded guitars, but obviously this sort of thing is highly subjective.

If you want an Archtop, then for 1200, you could get a USA made Jackson AT1 (bolt-on) or possibly one of the DCGL dinky Archtop run, but other than that, your budget will constrain you to imports (either the Charvels or Jackson Archtop Pros) as USA Archtops go for more than that....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

How about a DK1? The newer version is 24 frets with EMG 81/85. The older ones are 22 frets with H/S/S Duncans. The necks are thin, but not quite as thin as the Ibanez Wizard.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

To be honest, I'm not really into the "new" guitars. I like buying used because

a) most of the time, the guitar is worn in a little
            b) most of the time, you can get a more expensive model for less
            c) I'm wary of Jackson since Fender took over

I'm the same way with Ibanez. I don't really like the newer models. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Comment

DK1s have been around since 1996, though, so Toejam's suggestion is valid.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If your interested I've got the same model as this one. You'll probably have cash spare. What's better than one guitar? TWO guitars! Hehehe

It's I believe a 96 model DR3. Made in Japan not USA like the seller claims

Comment

For 1200 you can find a USA Jackson, keep your eyes open!
                  Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by waylay00 View Post
                    a) most of the time, the guitar is worn in a little
                    b) most of the time, you can get a more expensive model for less
                    c) I'm wary of Jackson since Fender took over
                    d) I am worried that my tinfoil hat is loose

j/k... Dont worry man. I just picked up a brand new USA, the thing kicks ass over all my other USA Jacksons.

-Nate
                    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Yeah no worry with the new Jackson In my opinion, their paint job just getting better and better
                      Mayzan
                      Webmaster Of www.MartyFriedman.com & www.7-string.com
                      My website: www.mayzan.com

Comment

Originally posted by waylay00 View Post
                        Specifically, I'm looking for a superstrat guitar with a rosewood board (22 or 24 frets) with a Floyd Rose. My budget is about $1200.
                        After reading this, I'm surprised that noone mentioned a Charvel Model 6 or Charvel 650XL yet. It's MIJ, but neck-thru, 24 frets, rosewood, floyd rose, all you want . And the best thing is that you can get it for 600$ on eBay anyday!

Comment

wtf...600$?
                          Christhian
                          Kelly Owner

Comment

if you find one get it
                            a 650xl is basically a soloist
                            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                            X