• Show
Clear All

cool...it's a rare one,I seldom see this
    State of Emergency
    http://www.myspace.com/stateofemergencysoe
    Personal Myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/hansoe

Comment

Here in Europe they seem to be pretty rare, yes... at least as far as I´ve seen. There are probably more of them floating around in the US, but they appear to be somewhat scarce over there as well.

Comment

This forum is becoming dangerous. It could (or probably already has) land(-ed) a few people in financial shit.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Could? LMAO Already has man! When I joined here, I had 4 guitars... that was a little over 2 years ago. Now I have right around 30. Go figure eh?
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
            Could? LMAO Already has man! When I joined here, I had 4 guitars... that was a little over 2 years ago. Now I have right around 30. Go figure eh?
            look on the bright side, if they were Gibsons, you'd really be up a creek:ROTF:

Comment

... or homeless if it was ESP
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

What if they were all Charvel CS at their new prices?

Comment

A pleasant surprise! It arrived a day early... I´m going to pick it up now, report to follow!

Comment

Make sure to fire up your camera!

Comment

Oh, rest assured I will. The camera´s at my brother, though, so that´ll have to wait until next week.

Inital feelings are positive... very positive!

It´s certainly substantial, quite a bit thicker than a Soloist, but surprisingly not that heavy... lighter than my 1988 Soloist and my Collen Pro, about on par with my PCS Collen, and a bit heavier than my SL1.

The neck is a bit beefy, thicker than a SL1 and again on par with the PCS Collen, and very comfortable. The rosewood is nice and dark. The workmanship on the frets, binding and inlays is very nice... no real difference from most USA´s I´ve seen.

Unplugged tone is warm and full, as expected... good definition in the lower regions. Plugged tone is good, as well. The bridge pickup is nice, it´s got good crunch and nice harmonic content, but the neck humbucker is a bit bland... not the powerful, fluid tone I was gunning for, more like a bridge pickup with the tone turned down and a touch of singlecoil-ness... so it may have to be replaced. All in all, it sounds good with stock pickups - but I think it can do better.

How is the fiveway wired, by the way? Does this look right?
                      1 - Full bridge
                      2 - Split bridge
                      3 - Both full
                      4 - Both split
                      5 - Full neck

Serial is C900385, which I guess makes it a 1990?

Comment

Pos 2 and 4 are inner coils and outer coils I think. Can't remember which one is which though.

That serial would make it an 89, which was the only official year it was made. Some seem to have been made in late 88 though.

Yup, yours is an early one. In fact, the earliest one with an '89 serial that has been owned by a JCF member (you), according to Henrik's research project: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...0xl-guitar.htm
                        Last edited by Sunbane; 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Well, if we classify it per that form it looks like this:

Serial: C900385
                          Bridge: Jackson logo JT-590
                          Pull-up route: Yes
                          Colour: Pearl white
                          Knob recess: Partial 180
                          Horn bevels: Shallow
                          Pickup rings: I couldn´t get that pic to load, but since these are huge they´ve got to be Large
                          Pickup covers: Yes

Comment

I´ve given it a few serious hours with the band now, and mechanically it performs extremely well. Comfy and smooth neck and body, and the JT590 works great. However, now I´m thinking both pickups are up for replacements... the bridge hum feels a little thin in the higher registers, I think I need something with a bit more high-end girth. It´s crunchy and cool for rhythm work, but a little thin for leads. Ah well, that thread is already underway over in the Tech section!

The five way switching definitely generated some nice split-coil sounds, which was good to hear. I´ve never been a fan of humbuckers for clean tones, other than jazzy cleans.

All in all, my initial suspicion was right... this IS gonna see alot of playing time.

Comment

if these are rare in europe, here in south america these are impossible to get...
                              Christhian
                              Kelly Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X