No announcement yet.

Model series vs Jackson USA with Rosewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, CNC machines can shape necks and bodies better than people, but there is a lot more to making a guitar than that. The carving the nut, installing the frets, and aligning the bridge are all critical jobs.

Comment

The main difference between a USA Jackson and an overseas import Jackson is durability. If you want a guitar that can take abuse night after night on stage and day after day of touring, nothing beats the USA made examples. Every component is built to last. A genuine Floyd Rose vs. a JT-580 for example. All woods are not created equal. The alder in your USA Jackson was specially chosen, properly seasoned, and given individual attention that you won't get (or shouldn't expect) from an overseas import. They may look the same, but it's all about longevity. The Model series imports were fine guitars for sure, and many shared similar components of their USA made cousins, but let's face it, King Crosby wasn't playing a made in Japan V. And Warren didn't choose a Model 4 but a USA made Charvel. And J.E. Lee, and George Lynch, etc...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

hmmm i dont know if i believe that either, this mod 6 has been thrown (more than a few times), burned, kicked across a stage, drowned in beer, soco & coke countless times, is responsible for 1 black eye, 1 concussion & 2 bloody noses. it was my main gigging guitar, & has been thru hell & back. That being said in the past ive had 5 guitars that have had cracked at the headstock, all of them fell over either off stands or while leaning against the couch, ALL OF THEM USA made. 2 jacksons, 3 BCR ST-3. sayin an import isnt durable....well maybe this one is special.

Comment

Where'd ya get the invisible electronics?
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That one looks like it was made in Iraq!:ROTF:

Comment

it's funny how easy it is to tell from the responses who has a USA and thus are feeling a bit of a complex about how great the Models compared to their guitar.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

A genuine Floyd Rose vs. a JT-580 for example.
                I picked 86 because both came with kahlers. Equal trems. I think the model series have stood the test of time too.
                Criss Olivia played imports

Comment

Didn't the USAs of the era come with JT-6 and later JT-590 as well?

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  Criss Olivia played imports
                  And Shawn Lane.

Comment

The model series came with JT6, Kahler AND JT590 trems... the junk JT580's were used on the newer 90's Performer and lower series imports.

As for the Model series guitars, I firmly believe that you CAN NOT find a better guitar for the money, not only that, but they will generally stand up to guitars costing twice as much. Ive got two Model 6's (one Kahler and one Floyd), a 750XL, a Model 5, two 475's, one 375 and a Model 1. They are ALL great guitars, and most of them are over 20 years old. They all still feel, play, look (most of them) and sound great. No binding falling off, no paint or clearcoat flaking, no major electronic issues, low fretwear (and they get/have gotten played ALOT).

My main guitar is my first Model 6, the tone and playablity cant be matched by any other guitar Ive EVER played. That guitar is so perfect, that I wont DARE mess with the electronics. Not that I dont know what Im doing, its just that I dont want to change the tone one bit... its perfect.

Nothing against USA guitars, they do have some great options available. As far as neck finishes, I personally prefer laquerd necks... but again, thats opinion only. If you two identicaly spec'd USA/Model guitars to someone wearing a blindfold, 9 out of 10 times they wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                      I agree, CNC machines can shape necks and bodies better than people, but there is a lot more to making a guitar than that. The carving the nut, installing the frets, and aligning the bridge are all critical jobs.
                      ...critical jobs that can be done with the guitar in a jig and lasers guiding the position of every element for perfect position every time.
                      My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

I own an '88 USA Dinky, and have owned two '88 Model 3A's over the years. All of them originally came with the JT-6, which I swapped out with OFR's.

There was no noticeable difference in playability (the most important factor for me). Really, the only difference was that the USA had a thicker slab of rosewood for the fingerboard.

Just my .02
                        Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

that must be a later run thing, cause the rosewood board on my 86 Model 2 is nice and thick. it had very nice fretwork too, and perfect edges.

I think that the first runs of the Models got the best treatment and that over time there were some cost related cutbacks on stuff like thick fretboards, etc.

licensing a design and making them cheaply overseas (JT-6) is much less expensive than just buying the item outright (Kahlers), so that is something I noticed even back then, when they changed that.

I'm glad I got my 86 when I did (bought at NYC Sam Ash 4/87 - when it was still a cool smaller chain, as opposed to a walmart of musical junk it is now).
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                            If I'm not mistaken, the japanese guitars are made on an assembly line of relatively unskilled workers, and the USA guitars are made by one or two skilled luthiers. Shouldn't that count for something in the quality difference?
                            In the 80's, the Japanese were at the top of their game in manufacturing. Japanese are also well known for improving on originals and perfecting processes. Given all hardware being equal, which they were on the Model series and the 86 US model that Rich#6 has described, I would still maintain that differences would be minute. Again this is coming from somebody who owns both. The US model may have come from the factory with a better set up, but this point is moot since both the Japanese and US models would be 21 years old now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                              In the 80's, the Japanese were at the top of their game in manufacturing. Japanese are also well known for improving on originals and perfecting processes. Given all hardware being equal, which they were on the Model series and the 86 US model that Rich#6 has described, I would still maintain that differences would be minute. Again this is coming from somebody who owns both. The US model may have come from the factory with a better set up, but this point is moot since both the Japanese and US models would be 21 years old now.
                              +1
                              My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
                                ...critical jobs that can be done with the guitar in a jig and lasers guiding the position of every element for perfect position every time.
                                Jeez... If I knew it was that easy to make perfect guitars in a factory I would have bought from the JS series.

Comment

Working...
                                X