Model series vs Jackson USA with Rosewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model series vs Jackson USA with Rosewood

I would like opinions of the comparision of an 86 model 4 and a 86 USA Jackson bolt-on with rosewood fretboard and Kahler trem. To keep it apples to apples.
    the comparisons usually come down to:
    1 pickups- both have USA made
    2 Trems - 86 is good both with kahlers
    3 fretboard- both with rosewood (I love you guys, but sorry your are ebony board Snobs )
    How much better is the USA in quality and playablity?

The model series are nice guitars. But, IMHO, the USA will spank it.

Comment

why do you think they stopped making the Model series?

they were cutting into the USA Jackson sales because people quickly figured out they were the same quality at half the cost.

that ought to tell you everything you need to know.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I'd think the grade of wood the body is made of will be better on the USA models than the import models, too.

Though, the bolt-on Model series used basswood. I believe the USA models would be either poplar or alder, for the most part.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hmmm im not too sure about spank. back in the day before i beat the shit out of my 88 model6 another guy in my class had a 89 USA soloist. other than the fact his said made in USA & had an ebony board & nicer inlays they were identical....they were both even black. i personally couldnt tell the difference, when i played his.

Comment

Having a model 4 and some US instruments, the Charvel can stand up with the others in terms of playability easily. It is made of basswood but it still sounds good.

Comment

With the US made the customer would have had a choice in body material, probably Poplar, Alder or Basswood. The Model 4 is Basswood. The neck on the US could also have an oil finish or lacquer. The Model 4 is lacquer.

Basswood is not inferior, just different.

Palyability is subjective, the one thing we can all agree on is that the US model will have a higher resale value.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                ...The neck on the US could also have an oil finish or lacquer. The Model 4 is lacquer.
                Yeah, the finish on the back of the neck would be the largest difference, IMO. But that can be sanded off and tung oiled like I have done many times.

I actually had an 86 rosewood US bolt-on with a Kahler and sold it cos it was so similar to my Mod4 (after I sanded the neck), plus I was able to sell it for more than the import.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                  why do you think they stopped making the Model series?

they were cutting into the USA Jackson sales because people quickly figured out they were the same quality at half the cost.

that ought to tell you everything you need to know.
                  +1
                  My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

I own both and they are very similar in playability. As mentioned above body wood and finish of the back of the neck would be the only significant differences.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the japanese guitars are made on an assembly line of relatively unskilled workers, and the USA guitars are made by one or two skilled luthiers. Shouldn't that count for something in the quality difference?

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                        If I'm not mistaken, the japanese guitars are made on an assembly line of relatively unskilled workers, and the USA guitars are made by one or two skilled luthiers. Shouldn't that count for something in the quality difference?
                        Well if they are unskilled, they sure a pulling it off...cause the 2 MIJ
                        models i have played are very nice, and sound great. Maybe 20 % under
                        the overall quality and feel of a $1900 USA Soloist imo

Comment

I would definitely NOT call the japanese craftsmen in the Jackson factory "unskilled". However, I'd guess that each worker there is more or less specialized into doing only a few things.

Comment

It's been said that Henry Ford invented the assembly line and the japanese perfected it. I'm not saying the Japanese can't make a quality guitar, but I think it's generally understood that individual craftsmanship is superior to the mass production of the assembly line.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                              in some ways no. i dont know how much is hand done but, machines dont have bad days or hang overs. like cnc'd guitars they are perfect every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X