No announcement yet.

Model series vs Jackson USA with Rosewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can honestly say I would rather have machine made guitars over hand made, for the simple reason that a machine can pump out the exact same neck shapes over and over while human hands leave lots of room for error.

and when it comes to body's, why does it matter if a person "sanded it like this" it's not gonna make a difference lmfao.

hit up the model series, they are the best bang for the buck along with the 80s Kramer Focus series guitars
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Jeez... If I knew it was that easy to make perfect guitars in a factory I would have bought from the JS series
      Big difference between the model series and the JS. Even the US ones are made on CNC machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        Big difference between the model series and the JS. Even the US ones are made on CNC machines.
        My comment about the JS series was a joke. Earlier in this thread I stated that USA jacksons are made with CNC machines and I have no qualms about it, but the rest of the process is finished by one or two skilled luthiers. I think this is what makes the USA models better. If not, what is the purpose of the select series and why do people buy them?

Comment

Why do people buy them? Simple:

"Made in USA"

In reality though, there are alot more options and finishes available on the USA models of the time.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

They don't make the Japanese ones like they used to. That is why. Cheaper trems, Plastic inlays, no more qtr sawn necks, no binding on the neck thrus(in general) . AND Options and the fact that you can say yours in made in the USA.

Comment

IMO the model series were 98% of an = specced USA guitar. If you don't like the JT6, just throw an original Floyd on there and you have the same quality guitar for a fraction of the price. I'm not sure if the necks were quarter sawn on the model series, but a truss rod works just as well with flat sawn wood as it does quarter sawn wood.

Comment

They don't make the Japanese ones like they used to. That is why. Cheaper trems, Plastic inlays, no more qtr sawn necks, no binding on the neck thrus(in general) . AND Options and the fact that you can say yours in made in the USA.
                You're probably right about that.

I never implied or meant to imply that the Japanese don't make quality guitars, they do. As far as playability, i'm sure there is little difference if any.

Comment

I have a bunch of Models and I absolutely love them to death. But, I think the US made ones are much better, especially the newer ones. Of course I can only speak for the neckthrus. When it comes to imports, the more lower down and basic the model, the closer the import will be to the genuine article. For instance, compare a basic faded model from Gibson and Epiphone. They are almost identical except one is built to a slightly lower budget. As you go higher up, that budget gets more and more constrained and the import falls more and more short. For this comparison take the ever awesome Charvel 750. Its an awesome guitar for sure, but Im hoping there is nobody here who is dillusional enough about imports that they would actually claim it to be on par with its equivalent, the SLATQH...................

Comment

For this comparison take the ever awesome Charvel 750. Its an awesome guitar for sure, but Im hoping there is nobody here who is dillusional enough about imports that they would actually claim it to be on par with its equivalent, the SLATQH...................
                    I didn't know they made that one back in the 80's. Take a 750 and compare it to it's USA equal the soloist archtop student (rosewood). I bet they are comparable and not worth the price diffrence.

After reading all the posts many people believe that the early model series compared to the lower USAs are pretty close. Especially the 86's(THE TITLE).
                    There have been exceptions like those who bash basswood( I hope none of you own any EVH signature charvels, JEMs or Music Man Petruccis- maybe they know something you don't ). Or the people who like to bring up famous stars who could drive to the charvel shop and one of who's main guitar was a fender painted at the charvel shop .
                    I think that with so many boardmembers that own USA and model series that the quality and playablity is a lot closer that most people are willing to admit.

Comment

They don't make the Japanese ones like they used to. That is why. Cheaper trems, Plastic inlays, no more qtr sawn necks, no binding on the neck thrus(in general) .
                      Wrong...you still have Jackson Stars. Top of the line models (J1 series and some J2 models) have all that you mentioned (not sure about qtr sawn neck though) and can rival with Jackson USAs anytime. You even have a custom shop if you want. They are descendants of the model series/early 90s professional and because those were discontinued, you can only get Jackson Stars in Japan now (or order one thru a Japanese dealer).

Comment

Well at least you agree with me that they can put out guitars on par with the USA ones.
                        The Stars I don't believe are qtrsawn. To me the Star Rhoads are customized versions of the RR5.
                        The current Charvel Model series that they still make and we had in the usa for a few years have qtr sawn hand oiled necks.

Comment

I have owned two model 4's (an '86 with a Kahler and an '87 with a JT-6) and while they were both nice guitars, the fretwork was not anywhere close to the fretwork on my USAs from the same era. Also the finish on the model 4 is much thicker and seemed to deaden the "spank" on the lower strings (I guess it could be from the basswood bodies too.) The fretboard wood was also noticably much lower quality, and fretboard slabs much thinner. Finally the thick finish on the necks was not nearly as nice as the oil finish used on my USAs. So yeah, though I'm the first to say the Model series are some of the best bang for your buck, from my experience I'd also say the USAs are considerably nicer.

Comment

I own a model 4,5fx,550xl & 6 and none are as nice or play as well as my 85&86 soloists or my 86 Schons ( one of the Schon has a rosewood fingerboard). Yes the model series are still the best bang for the bucks but the Jackson's from that time were all Custom Shop orders.

Comment

I have a ton of experience with all of the above. My opinion is that the USA Jackson from the late '80s-early '90s is likely to be a somewhat nicer guitar than a Model or "Toothpaste" Charvel, but if you hunt around you will find Charvels from that era that are as good or better than the USA guitars. Most of it comes down to the quality of the woods used. Grover Jackson himself set up and trained the Japanese operation, and their quality control was never an issue during that period. Also, they were using the *exact same* components that went into the USA guitars. Jackson-brand pickups, Kahler and Jackson-branded bridges, same switches and pots, etc.

What's ultimately different is that the Japanese operation didn't pick the woods as carefully (or age them, or whatever). The result of that is that the tonal quality of the Japanese guitars is more uneven than the USA guitars. There are some dogs out there, unfortunately. That said, my current #1 guitar is a 1990 Japanese-made Soloist Pro that is easily the best sounding Jackson I have ever owned--and that includes three San Dimas and two early '90s USA Soloists. My Pro is frighteningly toneful and a wicked player.

Comment

Which of the MOdel series would it be with a H/S/S config and a set neck from the early 80s?

Comment

Working...
                                X