VH Tour Dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH Tour Dirt

I posted a couple weeks ago that a great friend of mine (Chris Morrison) was hired as a guitar tech on the VH tour. At the time he wasn't exactly sure what that meant and we both figured he'd be working as an assistant. Turns out he's Eddie's numero uno guy and has been spending all day, every day working one on one with Ed himself.

Sounds like we all may be in for some huge surprises with VH, mainly Ed is completely sober (so far) and is playing like a MONSTER. Chris says the Ed today and the Ed we all saw on the last tour, or even in January at NAMM, have absolutely nothing in common. I'm told Roth sounds great and the entire band (including 16 year old Wolgang) sounds killer.

His main axe is a prototype EVH that's mostly based on the Peavey Wolfgang and it's called the... Wolfgang. I guess the headstock looks similar to the Peavey except where the carved out section was, there's a piece that looks like a wolf ripped a section off of it.

They're playing 23 songs and Ed's rig consists of 5150iii's, an EVH flanger, chorus and wah, a couple Roland delays and a Lexicon PCM70. He's running 3 cabs, the middle is dry 5150 and the 2 outer cabs are wet powered by a pair of H&H amps.

I'm also told that contrary to popular belief, Ed is an extremely kind and loving guy with lot's of hugs and kisses given out to all that are close to him on a regular basis. Including Chris, who Ed has only known for a short time.

He says the show itself is completely over the top... I can't wait to see it!
    Last edited by mattsmusiccenter; 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM.
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Wow! Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to see the mighty Van Halen!

Comment

Man, that is smokin' killer. I hope I get to see them. I love VH with DLR.
      "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Awesome story, not sure what else your friend has been involved with musically but if that isn't the highlight of his career so far I'd be stunned.

What an experience.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

good to hear. That would be a dream job for guitar tech!

Comment

Cool beans Matt, thanx for the update.I hope they record some live stuff. . so we can hear the infamous EVH tone.
            Its good to hear he is sober and playing great again. Maybe its in the "Fender" contract or something.
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

this is good to hear....i thought this tour was going to be a train wreck..

thanks matt for the update..

jon

Comment

While Rhoads is my favorite, Eddie really is GOD. And I've seen Satch, Lynch, DiMartini, J.E. Lee, and Vai. Last tour Ed did a 13 minute long guitar solo, and after a few minutes, got on the mic, and asked the crowd if we wouldn't mind if he just kept playing. He was on another dimension and has been for the last 30 years. Even Randy said he would cop Ed's licks to "stay current."
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

with some dudes the sober/drunk factor is just huge in how different the person can be when wasted. it appears Eddie is one of those guys.

encouraging initial report, but they have not hit the road yet, soooooo...

we'll see if the "nice Ed" remains or if the tour changes that.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

As long as DLR can KEEP his EGO in check...and EVH has the tolerance now that he's sober....it may come to pass this time!

Comment

What a gig to be a part of...once in a lifetime!

Comment

I hoping it works out. If so, Ed could put the guitar back in the forefront instead of that typical moaning crap that's been lingering since the 90s.

The show in CT sold out in 3 or 4 minutes, looks like I'm out
                        Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

My fingers are crossed that it stays this way...

Judging by Ed's passed behavior, I'm a bit skeptical...

It's great your buddy is having a good time. But I must say, there is a reason Ed doesn't have a "numero uno". Hopefully your friend will never find out why...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Comment

Cool details to hear, Matt. Thanks, and keep it coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X