Question for Jackson experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Jackson experts?

Am interested in purchasing a new Jackson guitar. What model new or early 90's would you recommend?
    I want something that can be played for any genre of music? What Jackson would you choose and why?

Rick
    Last edited by C.C._Devill119; 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM.

A Jackson Soloist SL1. You can get Strat sounds (stacked single coils) as well as traditional humbucking sounds. A traditional body shape with an awesome neck as all Jacksons have and a Floyd for those needed dive bombs or subtle Jazz runs.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Soloist.

Comment

For example is the Jackson Dinky XL Proffessional series a great guitar?

Comment

Nowhere near a soloist, but still very good....How much are you looking at spending?

Comment

Hey everyone I appreciate all your suggestions. That Jackson Soloist SL1 looks very tempting.

I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $500 dollars. Something that sounds amazing, but is also versatile and thin neck.

Comment

I think $500 will limit you to Japanese bolt-ons or maybe an SL-3 or SL-4 (Japanese Soloist - neck-thru). Dinky XL, DK2M, DR3, Dinky Reverse, SL-3, SL-4, or one of the many Fusion models would be good. If you are also considering Charvel, you could get Model 2, Model 3, Model 3A, Model 4, Model 5, Model 5A, Model 5fx, 375, 475, 550xl, and maybe even Model 6 and the 650xl. You may even get lucky and find a Charvel 750xl (the cream of the crop as far as Japanese Charvels go)..........Good luck!

Comment

Mr. Metal thank you!

Yea I'll keep my eyes open for one of those on Ebay.

Comment

Stick around here long enough and you'll keep your eyes open for ALL of them!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

SLSMGs come down that way too.
                    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

We'll if you like maple fretboards a KD2M with a swapped 3 way switch to 5 way switch will give you an extremely versatile combination.

Also the DK2 is quite versatile...

As would be the Sl-3.

if you can easily resolder the wiring for the DK2M the 5 way switch for two humbuckers not only gives you both humbuckers it gives you single coil tapped tones from positions 2 and four...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                        I think $500 will limit you to Japanese bolt-ons or maybe an SL-3 or SL-4 (Japanese Soloist - neck-thru). Dinky XL, DK2M, DR3, Dinky Reverse, SL-3, SL-4, or one of the many Fusion models would be good. If you are also considering Charvel, you could get Model 2, Model 3, Model 3A, Model 4, Model 5, Model 5A, Model 5fx, 375, 475, 550xl, and maybe even Model 6 and the 650xl. You may even get lucky and find a Charvel 750xl (the cream of the crop as far as Japanese Charvels go)..........Good luck!
                        I ran out of breath reading that one Good job!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Stick around here long enough and you'll keep your eyes open for ALL of them!
                          This is the truth. I joined *knowing* I wanted a King V. Now I want about 10 other models as well.

Those import Charvels certainly appear to be steals.

Comment

I think I know the answer but I still have to ask it anyway. What's a more reasonable choice for versatilty a Jackson DK2M Dinky or a Soloist SL1? I want a guitar that just plain rocks and has awesome stage look.

Comment

Strait "out of the box" so to speak, I would say the SL1 since you have the humbucker 2 single coils. Although that is going to run you more than $500 most likely.
                              The DK2M does sound good & will Rock nicely. And the maple fretboard will set it apart from your run of the mill 2 humbucker guitars. However I think you loose some versatility, but in a live situation, the audience most likely will not be able to tell (or care) if your tone is from a humbucker or a single coil.

If you don't mind a rosewood fretboard you could go with the DK2 & have the humbucker & 2 single coil pickup configuration.

As mentioned above you could have the DK2M modded so you can get the humbuckers split for single coil tone. The switch will run you about $15-$20 & then labor if you are not handy w/ a sodering iron or pickup wiring.
                              Last edited by Hamner1; 09-16-2007, 07:35 PM.
                              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                              X