finally got it back...Model 3A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally got it back...Model 3A

I grabbed this for $100 and had to put some time and $$ into finding the parts, but I finally got her back together and it is a great guitar.

I guess I have about $200 in it total, including finding a case and having it setup right.

Yeah!

Love it Bro!
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Nice!
      Have a "before" picture?
      BTW, How's that IB TS treating you?

Comment

It looks like you have a Floyd trem and a Kahler string lock. Do they work well together? Any difference in tone or sustain? Looks nice by the way. Farrari red is one of my favorites.
        Last edited by excon; 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Model 3A...trying to find out what year

I never noticed that it looks like the kahler. I got the parts from Dave at frets on the net, so he made most of them himself. So far the guitar plays great.
          I am trying to find out what year...the serial # 255353...

anybody know?

Originally posted by excon View Post
          It looks like you have a Floyd trem and a Kahler string lock. Do they work well together? Any difference in tone or sustain? Looks nice by the way. Farrari red is one of my favorites.

Comment

Looks like it's from 1987 based on the serial and the trem.
            The Kahler style lock nut is correct for a JT-6 trem.
            -Rick

Comment

Cool man, I just got a 3a as well! Nice score!
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Looks like it's from 1987 based on the serial and the trem.
                The Kahler style lock nut is correct for a JT-6 trem.
                thanks for the possible date, I checked some old catalog scans and I was thinking 88, but I don't know anything about how the serial number denotes the date of manufacture.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by metalgod72 View Post
                  I never noticed that it looks like the kahler. I got the parts from Dave at frets on the net, so he made most of them himself. So far the guitar plays great.
                  I am trying to find out what year...the serial # 255353...

anybody know?
                  The Kahler string lock allows for the strings to contact the standard guitar top nut, and the Floyd style locking nut is quite different as you probably know. I've never seen a guitar with a Floyd style trem and a Kahler style string lock, so I'm wondering if you can notice any difference the in tone or sustain of this guitar compaired to a similar guitar with a Floyd style Locking nut and trem. It seems like a good way to compair the two different locking systems.

Comment

That nut is actually referred to as the "Jackson" nut. They made so many guitars that way with that Kahler style nut and the JT-6 trem. Works virtually as well as the standard Floyd nut.
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Congrats, man. 3A's are great guitars.

Comment

Thanks everyone...

I am really excited, I played it for over an hour this morning and it really sounds great. I have never owned a charvel before, I have owned three jacksons and still have 2 of them, but never an actual charvel.

I think I might be on the lookout for a model 6, neck thru or similar model.

Comment

congrats,it's a very nice guitar and i like thath colour

Comment

Working...
                          X