Irony strikes (in a good way).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony strikes (in a good way).

Returning now to the forum after a long absence I'd just thought I'd share an amusing tale of youth and ignorance. Many years ago when I was looking for my first "real" guitar I picked up a Fusion Pro (graphite black, single volume knob) and a a year or so later in a moment of insanity I sold it.

Anyway many guitars have come and gone in that time and I could never find something that fitted the bill (although my strange US mutt Fusion was great too). I eventually settled on a Caparison Horus which considering the history of the company was the nearest modern equivalent.

Fast forward to 2007, I'm looking for a backup. One of my usual gear haunts knows me well enough to let me peruse. I notice a reasonably priced Kelly that might make a good backup to the Horus.

My usual contact approaches, he's regarded as the techie of the shop and we have a good working relationship. The conversation could be roughly transcribed as follows:

Him: Anything strike your fancy?
    Me: Just having a look at that Kelly.
    Him: N'ah you don't want that........

He proceeds to lead me to another rack where lo and behold a graphite Fusion is hanging up.

Him: It's an old Professional, more your thing.
    Me (picking up guitar): Yup it's an old Fusion, don't see many of these around.......

The next few minutes were spent with me doing an impression of a guppy, it wasn't just any Fusion it was The One. Down to the serial number it was the Fusion that I'd stupidly sold so long ago.

Him: Well we're doing 20% off certain guitars at present.
    Me: So that makes it?
    Him (beaming): £160

That Fusion still has it, needs a set-up but she still has it. Other guitars may come and go but this one's home and she's staying. Funny thing is the Caparison has been staying in its case since then time for ebay I think.

AWESOME!! and, welcome back!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks. as much as I love the Horus it doesn't have the sentimental value. I just find it ironic that I'm reaching for a pawn-shop special instead.

Comment

Great story.

She came full circle I guess.
        Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
        Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Cool story man, happened to me once too, good feeling.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

That's cool .

Comment

That's an awesome story. I love hearing about people who find one of their old axes at some shop and get them back. Always puts a smile on my face. Welcome aboard!
              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Definitely a cool story. I'm glad that you got it back instead of finding out that somehow ruined it. Enjoy it and whatever you do, don't let it go!
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Awesome story! And welcome back to the boards!
                  Scott

Comment

what a great story

Comment

Welcome back Confessor Townsend,
                      I thin it is coll you guitar found it's way home.

Comment

Don't you love it when the universe aligns in your favor. Great story, and to further the irony, I'm just trying to get my hands on a select Kelly.

Comment

Great story! I got a Fusion PRO. Welcome (back?)
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Great story indeed. Congrats!
                            It remind me of a similar story that happened to me. Some 20 years ago I traded a Gibson ES 347 in for a Model 4 (that still is, and will be, my main axe) Stupid thing to do, of course, but it was the only way to get the Charvel. But I allways missed the old Gibson. Some years ago I found this guitar for sale in a store, MY old guitar! And I didn't have the money....
                            Second time I come across it, it will be mine.

Comment

Great story! Welcome aboard!
                              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                              X