MG/DK2 Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG/DK2 Combo?

A local guitar shop has a used jackson and they are calling it a MG/DK2 Combo..it has EMG-HZ pickups (2 of them). It looks like a MG body with a DK2 neck.

Black body with maple neck and shark fin inlays.

The serial number starts with 97 on bolt plate at the base of the neck. What does that mean? if any thing?...They are asking $349US. Is this a good price? It looks really nice...

One thing i did notice messing with the knobs...as i moved them i could hear some static in the amp sometimes...are they getting bad?

Thanks for any help
    "We may loose and we may win, though we will never be here again..." - Take It Easy - Eagles

STRINGS
    Blueridge BR-40
    Ovation 1778T

Pots are probably just dirty.

As for the guitar, if the neck has a Maple fret board with black sharkies and black binding, it's a DK2M that someone swapped the pickups out on.

If it has a rosewood fret board with MOTO (pearl) sharkies and white binding, it's a DXMG body with a DK2 neck.

If it's a reverse headstock with no binding, it's a plain old DXMG.
    If it has an archtop, it's a DKMG body with a different neck.

$349 is not a bad price regardless.
    -Rick

Comment

The headstock points to the right (bends down) and it maple with a rosewood fretboard with pearl inlay sharkies. What is white bindings? I figured the pots just needed cleaning...
      "We may loose and we may win, though we will never be here again..." - Take It Easy - Eagles

STRINGS
      Blueridge BR-40
      Ovation 1778T

Comment

White binding... the stuff that goes around the neck and fret board.
        So it looks like this?

If so, it's a parts mutt. $349 is still a decent price though.
        -Rick

Comment

Yes, the neck looks just like the one in your pic and has the white binding...I am new to Jackson....Is the MG any better than the DK2? Why would someone put a different neck on? is the DK2 have a higher quality neck? Or just preference?

While at Guitar Center I played the MG with HZ pickups and liked it alot...but they want $499 for it there....am I losing or gaining a better quality neck with this combo version? Or am i just be anal and should just go buy the damn thing?

STRINGS
          Blueridge BR-40
          Ovation 1778T

Comment

Originally posted by Terestron View Post
            The serial number starts with 97 on bolt plate at the base of the neck. What does that mean? if any thing?...
            Not much

If it's 97xxxxx, then we know it's made in Japan between 2004 - 2007

Get me the rest of the # so I can narrow it down.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i went back and took a look at it and it is 9675570 (trying to rember from my memory) does that help? would like to know how old it is...

STRINGS
              Blueridge BR-40
              Ovation 1778T

Comment

Originally posted by Terestron View Post
                Yes, the neck looks just like the one in your pic and has the white binding...I am new to Jackson....Is the MG any better than the DK2? Why would someone put a different neck on? is the DK2 have a higher quality neck? Or just preference?

While at Guitar Center I played the MG with HZ pickups and liked it alot...but they want $499 for it there....am I losing or gaining a better quality neck with this combo version? Or am i just be anal and should just go buy the damn thing?
                The guitar you described is the best parts of both guitars.
                For $349, I would grab it.
                -Rick

Comment

I have seen that guitar, it is a dxmg with a dk2 neck. As for why someone put it together that way, my guess is that person wanted a dk2 with a reverse headstock. I also feel the price is fair, I thought about buying it.

Comment

Didn't Musician's Friend or Guitar Center have a version like that?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Didn't Musician's Friend or Guitar Center have a version like that?
                      GC had an "anniversary edition" that was available only in purple.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X