jackson? charvel? which is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson? charvel? which is the best?

I don't mean to open up a can of worms or start a fued but i'm just curious which guitar is better? what seperates the two? to me they both look the same but i personally never played a charvel but will know tomorrow when i pick up my model 4.
    don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
    http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

Originally posted by usmc50bmgsniper92 View Post
    what seperates the two?
    The name on the headstock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charvel_Guitars

Comment

Here is my 10 beers worth. I gather you are talking about older C/J's. The Charvel bods are way more Fender-like. Just all the away around. The Jackson bods are different. The necks are different. It's like apples and oranges. Or, I can just be off my ass. But, I like Charvels better.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
        It's like apples and oranges.
        so wich is better? apples or oranges?

Comment

Seems like you're mainly referring to import Charvels. Keep in mind that in '86 when the Model Series Charvels were introduced, all Jacksons were US made and they had just turned the Charvel brand into the import line. These imports covered a lot of ground and included models with traditional "Charvel" features like full-size strat bodies, etc., but there were also some models that were basically the first import Jacksons. The Model 5 & 6 were Soloists. The Model 4 had many of the same features as the Model 6, but a full-size strat body, so it kind of blurred the lines. Meanwhile, there were USA Jackson strats being made that filled the void left when USA Charvel production stopped. More blurring of the lines. In '89, when the "toothpaste logo" Charvel imports came along, the bolt-on models were much more like a Jackson Dinky than a traditional Charvel strat.

Comparing USA Charvels to USA Jacksons is all about personal preference. There were many specific exceptions (like the Jackson strats), but to keep it simple think of the Charvels more as hotrodded Strats and the Jacksons more as state-of-the-art shred machines, more likely to be neckthrough, more likely to have radical body shapes or dinky strat shapes, etc. One of the best analogies I've heard is to think of a Charvel as a badass muscle car, and a Jackson as a Ferrari. Apples and oranges. I refuse to choose, and love 'em all.

Comment

dg said what I was trying to say. And that's the truth.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I prefer cheap muscle cars. Nothing like a $5,000 dollar brake job to ruin your day...

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                Seems like you're mainly referring to import Charvels. Keep in mind that in '86 when the Model Series Charvels were introduced, all Jacksons were US made and they had just turned the Charvel brand into the import line. These imports covered a lot of ground and included models with traditional "Charvel" features like full-size strat bodies, etc., but there were also some models that were basically the first import Jacksons. The Model 5 & 6 were Soloists. The Model 4 had many of the same features as the Model 6, but a full-size strat body, so it kind of blurred the lines. Meanwhile, there were USA Jackson strats being made that filled the void left when USA Charvel production stopped. More blurring of the lines. In '89, when the "toothpaste logo" Charvel imports came along, the bolt-on models were much more like a Jackson Dinky than a traditional Charvel strat.

Comparing USA Charvels to USA Jacksons is all about personal preference. There were many specific exceptions (like the Jackson strats), but to keep it simple think of the Charvels more as hotrodded Strats and the Jacksons more as state-of-the-art shred machines, more likely to be neckthrough, more likely to have radical body shapes or dinky strat shapes, etc. One of the best analogies I've heard is to think of a Charvel as a badass muscle car, and a Jackson as a Ferrari. Apples and oranges. I refuse to choose, and love 'em all.

GREAT post, dg!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Or pick one of each up and whichever you like the best answers your question!
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    GREAT post, dg!
                    +1
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

well i just picked up my model 4 and i'm in love!!!!! my other guitar is a jacson JS30 and that thing is junk!! compared to the charvel. so far charvel is in my favor but who know that may change with my next jackson, lol
                      don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
                      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by usmc50bmgsniper92 View Post
                        well i just picked up my model 4 and i'm in love!!!!! my other guitar is a jacson JS30 and that thing is junk!! compared to the charvel. so far charvel is in my favor but who know that may change with my next jackson, lol
                        A Charvel Model 4 and a Jackson JS30 are not comparable models. JS30 is a bottom feeder promo model where the Model 4 commanded a pretty penny when it was new!

Comment

+1

If you really want to be blown away by a Jackson import, keep an eye out for one of the early '90s Professionals.

Comment

" jackson? charvel? which is the best? "

Charvel is the best
                            Last edited by j4vice; 10-16-2007, 12:08 PM.
                            JvicE

Comment

dg is right on the money again.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X