Charvel Model 5 George Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 5 George Lynch

Hi, new to this forum but I am a upstanding member of the Dean Forum, BS, and occasionally Gemsite and UG

I have an affinity for all guitars pointy

I also am an administrator for diecastlive.com as I also collect the old redline Hot Wheels

Just a quick question about a guitar I had many years ago and desperately looking for again

It was a Model 5 George Lynch (zebra paintjob). Single Humbucker, Kahler American Flyer Trem, unfinished neck and was a San Dimas model as I recall. I think I had it around 1986-88

Best playing strat body guitar I ever played and the thing screamed

If anyone knows where I can get one and what they go for on average, it would be much appreciated
    2001 Les Paul Standard
    2010 Explorer '76 RI
    1988 Charvel Model 3

Welcome to the JCF!

I have no idea where to find this guitar, but....are you the real Joe Stump? http://www.joestump.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
      Welcome to the JCF!

I have no idea where to find this guitar, but....are you the real Joe Stump? http://www.joestump.com/
      No but Joe is definitely one of my playing influences. I guess that you can figure that I am neo-classical shredder LOL

Been playing 30+ years and Joe and Yngwie have influenced my playing style most

I also am a big fan of Gary Moore, Frank Marino, Alex Lifeson, Ritchie Blackmore, MAB and numerous others
      2001 Les Paul Standard
      2010 Explorer '76 RI
      1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Welcome! The info you gave is a little confusing. Was the guitar a bolt-on full-size strat? The Model 5 was a neckthrough import with a dinky body, basically the Charvel import version of a Jackson Soloist. If your guitar was a bolt-on with an unfinished neck, and especially if it had a San Dimas neckplate, it was most likely a custom USA Charvel. Was it a zebra or bengal tiger paintjob? Lynch is usually associated with the bengal. Either way, it doesn't sound like you had a production model. Here's a flyer that shows a zebra graphic:

lynch bengal here:

Comment

If it was a single hum model series. With the Kahler It would be a Model 2. Which had the full sized strat body. And pointy headstock. If it was a strat head. It was probably a Charvel custom shop. As stated above. Or just a refin. A few more detials (if you can remember) about the build of the guitar would help to figure out what it is you're looking for. Was it a bolt on or neck through? was it a pointy headstock or a strat headstock? Was the flyer stock? Cus back in the 85 era they were using Kahler but it was the top mount and the pro. Or the traditional on the model 2's.86 they went to the JT6 trem. What was the logo on the headstock.If you can remember?
          You could probably find a model 2 on ebay and have it painted. The Model 2's play great and are very solid guitars.
          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            Welcome! The info you gave is a little confusing. Was the guitar a bolt-on full-size strat? The Model 5 was a neckthrough import with a dinky body, basically the Charvel import version of a Jackson Soloist. If your guitar was a bolt-on with an unfinished neck, and especially if it had a San Dimas neckplate, it was most likely a custom USA Charvel. Was it a zebra or bengal tiger paintjob? Lynch is usually associated with the bengal. Either way, it doesn't sound like you had a production model. Here's a flyer that shows a zebra graphic:

lynch bengal here:

http://www.usacharvels.net/leogab/web/002.htm
            It was a zebra finish and it definitely was a USA. Single volume control. The trem was definitely a American Flyer and it had the pointy Charvel headstock w/ a bolt-on neck and San Dimas chrome plate

Honestly, I am not sure what Model designation it was, I thought a 5 but back then, I was more into the Ibanez Destroyers and I had a few Gibson Explorers also

I got the guitar in a trade when I worked for Hilton Music in Amesterdam, NY. I swapped a set neck Phil Collen Destroyer for it even up. The original owner got it as payment for a debt but he claimed the guitar was almost 2k new back then

Hope this helps, it was a LONG time ago but I definitely miss that guitar. It had the most incredible feeling neck on it. The guitar was basically worthless for rhythm playing, it just screamed regardless of volume position unless you took it down to almost nothing. At the time, I was playing through a JCM800 that was modded heavily for maximum gain

I did a search and these tow images pretty much nail the guitar EXCEPT, it does not have a OFR like the pictured one and the neck did not have a rosewood fretboard, it was raw maple and the headstock is identical

Last edited by Joe Stump; 10-13-2007, 02:56 PM. Reason: add pictures and additional info
            2001 Les Paul Standard
            2010 Explorer '76 RI
            1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

yeah then you definitely had a USA San Dimas Charvel, not a Model 5 import.

now, I've been a Dokken and GL fan for over 20 years, and I don't recall him playing a zebra paintjob. did I just miss this somehow?
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I agree with it being a USA. Also, whats your name on UG?

Comment

No white one is listed here. It does show the other striped ones though.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    I agree with it being a USA. Also, whats your name on UG?
                    Dean ML Tribute, same as on the Dean Forum

On Gemsite, my user name is getcha pull

I rarely visit those sites much except to comment on the different band threads or to cruise the classifieds for deals

As for the George Lynch name, that is what the person called it when I traded him for it. I was in my early 20s then and just liked how the guitar played and that is why I did the trade. There was no internet for a source of info and I don't recall any Charvel dealers in the Albany area, possibly Drome Sound but our local shops pretty much carried Ibanez, Gibson, Fender and Ovation guitars. They also carried stuff like Shiro, Hondo etc...
                    2001 Les Paul Standard
                    2010 Explorer '76 RI
                    1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Hey man, sounds like you had a killer guitar back in the day. There are old ones like that around, but they tend to get snatched up by collectors quick (if they surface) or passed around by people before they hit the open market or the 'bay etc.

The kalher is a detractor for some, but 95% of the charvel guys out there will make an exception for a graphic and a maple board. Keep and eye on the 'bay and be prepared to pay about $1200+ for one in good condition without mods. If you are a lucky kind of guy and travel, check pawn shops and small mom and pop type music stores as you never know what you might find (I have been a day late and a dollar short on those type finds for years, but some people find some really cool stuff).
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Speaking of a day late & a dollar short, every zebra Charvel I see reminds me of the day a year or so ago when I didn't check my email one morning & missed out on a factory floyded one for a great price. Gone by lunchtime!

Comment

Working...
                        X