Hard Time Getting Harmonics on DKMG-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Time Getting Harmonics on DKMG-

Hey, got a question for you Dinky players. I have a real hard time getting 5th. fret harmonics on my DKMG. Could it be low action, or something else? My action is low, but not buzzing anywhere. This is the only axe I've ever had this kind of trouble with. Maybe the floating bridge just steals the harmonic capability and sustain?

how old are the strings?
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

well when i was playin' the dkmg i could hit harmonics everywhere i tried, im not sure if i did 5th, but i'm geussing you should tweak you technique and hold the pick at a different angle

Comment

what harmonics are you trying to get - natural, tapped (12th fret), or pinch??

i've played most jacksons and had no problem finding harmonics

i would suggest for natural and pinched you just practice till u find the sweet spot.

the only other thing i can think of is looking at ur pickup height..i find a lot of manufactures put their pickups in quite low - often i raise them a little, it really helps with fattening the sound up and bringing the best out of ur guitars tone

Comment

Pickups that are adjusted way up sometimes also have a detrimental effect on harmonics, since the magnetic pull may dampen the vibration. This is not an issue if you have active pickups though.

Comment

Whats odd is I've noticed its a lot harder to get artificial harmonics of my DK2T compared to my other guitars, but its nothing I haven't figured out to play around, and its actually helped my technique.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
              what harmonics are you trying to get - natural, tapped (12th fret), or pinch??

i've played most jacksons and had no problem finding harmonics

i would suggest for natural and pinched you just practice till u find the sweet spot.

the only other thing i can think of is looking at ur pickup height..i find a lot of manufactures put their pickups in quite low - often i raise them a little, it really helps with fattening the sound up and bringing the best out of ur guitars tone
              Nice post.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Definitely not caused by action (string height) especially if the strings aren't buzzing.

First thing that comes to mind, ...for some reason harmonics sound a lot more through the bridge pickup than neck, and even more through a humbucker than single coil(s). Other than that.... if it was the trem causing problems, logically you would just have the same ones as with normal fretting, ie. loss of sustain or whatever. How is it for clean/acoustic sounds?
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                X